Looking to move out of London... but where?

I would give up on the being near to big supermarkets and focus on being within easy distance of mainline trains, but as rural as possible given that.

It is only short term, so do the whole country thing while you have the chance.

:)

A vote for Penarth here.

It's on the edge of Cardiff Bay and the Bristol Channel, there's a railway station with trains into Cardiff Central every 15 minutes (journey time of about 12 minutes), you can rent a lovely 2 bed apartment down on the Marina for about £600, you can have fibre optic 100mb broadband, you're within a couple of miles of the M4, and you're in the Vale of Glamorgan which has miles and miles of lovely countryside. You're also close to the Brecon Beacons, Cotswolds, Forest of Dean and a few trail centres.

Sold it to me anyway ;)

To be honest, £1000 a month isn't going to get you much within 2 hours of London, so you need to be looking further afield...

Oh, I forgot to say in my previous post that Shrewsbury is a lovely town too :)

My Mum & Stepdad live there and we go to visit all the time. Just don't rent a place by the river! ;)

I have done two stints living in Oxfordshire. The first time in Wantage, a nice little market town about 20 minutes by car south west of Oxford, in 2008/9 it was costing me about £750 PCM + bills for a large 2 bed, 2 bath modern flat overlooking a small river. The least attractive town in the shire Didcot (10-15 minutes by car), is far enough away to be out of sight but close enough to be incredibly useful it is essentially a commuter centre with all the trains to bristol, south wales and Oxfordshire passing through it, so you don't have to wait any longer than 20minutes for an express which will have you in paddington in 45 minutes or so.

Oh not to mention you are literally on the Ridgeway, beautiful riding albeit not the most challenging. For challenging, just head back to didcot and hop on the train in the other direction and find your self at afan etc in around an hour, or exmoor/dartmoor in not much longer.

Wantage has a waitrose and large Sainsburys as well as loads of other useful little shops (including two LBS)

Huntingdon is a commuter dump aprox 56 minutes from Kings Cross

3 bed house could be had for as little as £650 a month but you'd be on a large estate where its reputation is far worse than its bite.

You'd have to master the Eastern European languages but they are all very nice people to know and far better behaved than the indigenous population.

Riding - forget it unless you like epic mileages and skinny tyres.

£1000 a month out in the sticks can get you a mansion - literally.

I'd be a near neighbour

I don't need to be close to London, just have a decent train connection to it. I'll probably go to London every two months or something.

Riding isn't a huge concern, I'm looking forward to getting out on a bike after giving up riding here in London.

Why wouldn't I go near the river in Shrewsbury?

Also, I should have mentioned in my first post, I'm not looking to spend £1,000 a month when we move, more like £500 - £600. I've seen cottages and barn conversions around Shropshire for that.

I'll check out Wantage. I know there's a big bmx trails scene there and I like the idea of markets as I mostly eat fresh veg.

Buy yourself one of these....

MM12044.jpg

Live where ever you like, plus have instant kudos at every retrobike meet :D

Seriously though, I live in Dorset and love it down here

Latest posts

Back