Misleading eBay ad

big.eck":7xx8nsyl said:
the worst bit was the front crossmember was split but it has a fresh mot ??? hmmmm

I'd be reporting it to ebay as a dangerous vehicle and also would have noted the testing station and reported them too (not to ebay, obviously).

IDB1":2zpynl83 said:
big.eck":2zpynl83 said:
the worst bit was the front crossmember was split but it has a fresh mot ??? hmmmm
I'd be reporting it to ebay as a dangerous vehicle and also would have noted the testing station and reported them too (not to ebay, obviously).
There's some debate - in MOT forums, by MOT testers - about whether issues with front cross-members is necessarily a failure - I think it depends on the car, where the damage / corrosion is (in relation to suspension).

I read a thread discussing a certain car, where the front cross-member had rusted through, and I think the decision was it was a pass (and advise) even though there was potential for the engine to be somewhat not fully supported.

Optimism, have none. Look at these adverts minus the rose tinted specs, it is eBay after all. If it has a vague description its that way for a reason :eek:

No offense but you can see that car is a dog from the photos and I'm pretty sure I can see the dent at the front near side roof corner. MOT means nothing, nanny state...someone in oily clothes says it is ok, it must be!

Neil":2cunp6as said:
IDB1":2cunp6as said:
big.eck":2cunp6as said:
There's some debate - in MOT forums, by MOT testers - about whether issues with front cross-members is necessarily a failure - I think it depends on the car, where the damage / corrosion is (in relation to suspension).

I read a thread discussing a certain car, where the front cross-member had rusted through, and I think the decision was it was a pass (and advise) even though there was potential for the engine to be somewhat not fully supported.

I've read a few on pistonheads Neil and know exactly what you mean but the front wishbones bolt onto the crossmember so it's structural and a defo mot fail .

What happens is the driveshafts pop out the gearbox when the crossmember splits (usually when taking a corner) I know the mk1 astras quite well :cool:

Magsy":1umy7oh7 said:
Optimism, have none. Look at these adverts minus the rose tinted specs, it is eBay after all. If it has a vague description its that way for a reason :eek:

No offense but you can see that car is a dog from the photos and I'm pretty sure I can see the dent at the front near side roof corner. MOT means nothing, nanny state...someone in oily clothes says it is ok, it must be!

No offence taken but I had spoke to the seller on the phone and he answered all my questions correctly and it seemed to be a 90% Finnished project , the dents on the nearside rear on the roof too .

Id of been willing to pay £1600 but after getting the piss ripped out of me I never even bothered offering .

It's far from a dog too having had new inner/outer wings , floor & boot pans & inner & outer sills fitted 2 years ago , it's just not worth £2200

Back