DIAMOND BACK TOPANGA SE 20"

apollo95

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hey all, this is my pub bike I picked up from Gumtree.com.au for a song!
I need to do some overhaul work on this as neither of the shifters 3 / 7 spd will change to all the gears, I suspect its gummed up!

Frame: Cro Mol / Steel?

Fork: Rock Shocks Indy S

Headset: Avenir
Stem: Avenir
Handlebar: Avenir
Grips: Avenir
Barends: ?

Brakes: Tektro V Brakes
Brake Pads:
Brake Cables:
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Tektro V Brakes

Shifters: Shimano STX Rapid Fire
Front Derailleur: STX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano STX
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: 7 speed
Chain: Old and need of overhaul
Cranks: STX Crank
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings:
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket:
Pedals: Plastic ones that are old

Hub Skewers:
Rims: Araya front and Velocity Rear
Hubs:
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Dunlop Panaracer
Tubes:

Saddle: Avenir Comfort, taped up with electrical tape
Seatpost:
Seatpost Binder:

Weight: Heavy ish
[/b]
20120715_143443.jpg

Ok ppl so now I have big dramas with this what I thought was a bargain pickup. It seems that the front derailleur has been bent and the adjustment screws don't do anything at all :(. The left shifter will only shift between the bottom cog ie 1 and middle cog 2 , not even the 3rd one :(
At the back I can only get it to shift 5 out of the 7 gears and depending where I adjust the barrel cable adjuster its 5 gears from either top cog or the bottom cog upwards ! ARghhhh!
I have tried pulling apart the rapid fire shifters and doing a compressed air blow out and spray some RP7 in there to lube it up has not even improved how they were before .... ! HELP!

what should I do about the shifters I have already tried to de gum them and they just wont budge beyond "3" on the right side and beyond "2" on the left!

So I'm stoked at just before 2am I managed to get the left working on all three gears on the chainring !!! Took apart the rapid fire shifters gave them a clean out put some rp7 on them works sweet as :)

Hey I've got this serial number underneath the frame is this a way to tell what year its been built in?

I67J0425

apollo95":pcpgh19t said:
Hey I've got this serial number underneath the frame is this a way to tell what year its been built in?

I67J0425
I dunno - but it's a 98 MY Topanga - what else is there to know?

After cleaning out the right shifter and spraying with WD40 I have managed to get all seven gears working, mind you the old shifter cable was in bad shape so i salvaged one from a spare EZ fire shifter I had laying around.
Now it seems that I must have accidentally got some of that WD40 on my hands and subsequently on my lips. Now I have a fat lip from that :(
That will teach me to be careful next time!
All 21 speeds working, but the front Derailleur cable needs to be replaced too as I suspect its catching on something from time to time.

Back