Asked To Restore This - Sunn

Ahhhhh this thread is bringing back some happy memories!!

Keep polishing, it will be worth it. Whats the condition of the forks? Try to hang on to them as getting a new set will be almost impossible. I had to swap mine and bought a new set from my LBS. In one one winter they rusted more than the frame managed in approx 40 years :LOL:

designer1":1j1agzbb said:
the soon to be 60 owner bought it new im told used it for a few years, and gave it to his brother and forgot about it.
The thing that worries me is that if he gave it away and forgot all about it what makes you all think he would like it back? :? Sounds a bit risky to me and I'd hate to see all that hard work go to waste.

As for the wheels, why not use the original hubs and replace the rims/spokes? NOS alloy rims are around if you look hard enough on ebay etc and Rustless spokes are also still around (for an authentic look). That would be my route anyway and could be the ideal opportunity for you to learn about wheelbuilding.

Ian.

By the way, are you a musician or rock music fan? Your spellings of SUNN and AXEL make me wonder that. (SUNN amplifiers and AXEL Rose maybe?).

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Those rubber hoods should come up really well with WD40 and a toothbrush.

Any small chrome bits like the brake cable bands and the shifter band will improve vastly after a 24hr soak in a solution of oxalic acid.

Ko Cao Line Leather Dressing will sort out the saddle.

0000 grade steel wool dipped in oil will remove any rust staining and small spots.

Thanks for the comments guys with helpful tips - I only have a month to go now so cracked on over the weekend.

I dont think he gave the bike away, he asked his brother to store it for him, where it stayed for years is how i understand it.

Had time been on my side the re-building of the wheels may have been an option i would have explored further, as it was i opted for a polished alloy set with Q/R - had the frame and forks widened to accomodate the extra width, and the drop outs made slightly wider also.

Seat, has come up ok using Brooks product - 'before' pic below:

Pics below of progress so far:

IMG_0589-1.jpg

IMG_0588-1.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

The frame is now 99% finished, more photos to follow shortly.
Where can i get oxalic acid Robbied196 please?

Many thanks

designer1":i1dn1lyy said:
Where can i get oxalic acid Robbied196 please?

Many thanks

I get mine here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/500g-Oxalic-A ... 4148bb54f7

A bag this size lasts me for ages. For small bits I put 2 teaspoons in a large coffee jar, add warm water, drop in the parts and give it a good shake. Depends on the condition but a soak somewhere between 12 and 24 hours normally does the trick :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back