Kona Cindercone 1994

johnv

Kona Fan
thought I would share my new Kona Cindercone. This is my first retro MTB project. Been after one of these for a while, after much searching and lost bids on ebay uk I eventually found this one on Marktplaats (I'm based in the NL).

Seems to be pretty original apart from the front wheel (?), but in need of some serious TLC. Frame seems to be in good shape (no dents or serious damage/rust), just some minor scuffs to the stickers.

My plan is to keep it original, then ride it (when it's not too wet).

Plan of action is...

- try and free the seriously stuck seatpost! (now working through the various methods found after some googling)
- complete clean/lube on everything, new bolts where needed
- new BB
- new cables, outers etc.
- new tyres (they are the original A:\drive B:\drive tyres but they are pretty faded and frankly I don't like the grey colour they are now)
- replace pedals (put some SPDs on it)
- new chain (of course), was thinking about replacing the cassette, but now I realise that the original HG70 11-28 cassette is really difficult to find, so will see if the one on it is OK
- new grips

This is my first post, will post with photos next ...

now the photos ...

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0120.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0128.jpg

Hello and welcome :cool:

Looks like the start of a great project. Looks very original and all I can see that is changed are the grips , front wheel looks to be the original as they never had a shimano front hub. Original spec is HERE.

I had a 94 in grey and loved the orange one, the first thing I would change are the brake levers as the holes at the ends were uncomfortable I found.

Look forward to seeing the progress :cool:

johnv":1hvgilkm said:
…tyres (they are the original A:\drive B:\drive tyres but they are pretty faded and frankly I don't like the grey colour they are now)...

Actually that is the original colour of the tyre. They had a low carbon content (to allow them to be coloured) and as a result tended to wear very quickly. My first MTB was one of these, albeit the version with the Marzocchi XC51 fork. Great bike. I've ridden Konas ever since.

Thanks for the feedback, good to know the front looks to be original.

suggestions for appropriate tyre replacements gratefully received... :)

johnv":1190y3y4 said:
Thanks for the feedback, good to know the front looks to be original.

suggestions for appropriate tyre replacements gratefully received... :)

I used Panaracer Smoke (rear) and Dart (Front) when my A:\Drive and B:\Drive wore out. They appear to have been re-issued as I found a German site that sells both. Google the tyre names and you should find it.

Also Ritchey Z-Max were around in those days and are still available and a very good tyre.

great recommendation, thanks. They look perfect :) found them on a german site as suggested. Had second thoughts, it seemed a shame to swap out the originals, but I took another look today and the rubber is quite perished.

Finished stripping the bike down this weekend and battled some more with the seatpost. No movement there (yet!). Trying coca-cola at the moment (seemed less noxious and more kid friendly compared to ammonia). Will give it a couple of days, then see if it budges...

Will post some photos of the stripped down bike later ...

johnv":34fizxov said:
Had second thoughts, it seemed a shame to swap out the originals, but I took another look today and the rubber is quite perished.

I know what you mean, I bought a '95 Cinder Cone which still had its original tyres and although it is great to have all original kit I keep them for photos only. You can't get them any more so if you intend to ride (what else would you do on such great bikes!) then wear out something that is replaceable.

Good luck with the seatpost... :?

quick update before vacation, the bike now stripped, most parts look really nice after a bit of a clean :)

the seat post is well and truly stuck. I think I may have to cut it out, next stop is finding an LBC that can help me with this... this will have to wait for another couple of weeks :-(

@Captain Clueless ... like the suggestion to keep the original tyres for photos, will do just that

CSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg
[/quote]

What've you tried in your quest to release the seatpost out of interest? There's lots of experts here who have been through this process and will be able to offer first hand advice!

Great frame by the way, that orange was (is) one of my favourite Kona paint schemes.

Back