Help to ID frame and forks thanks

Lovely frame, a No. 1 lug set etc. by the look of it. Well worth getting some matching forks and restoring. If you don't want to keep it then there'll be plenty of willing takers I'm sure!

Thanks again for all the info everyone, as yet im not sure what i will do with the frame, ive only had it a couple of days :LOL: but i think i will hang on to it for a while and see what happens ;)
any other info anyone can come up with i would be most grateful
Mick :)

OldTel":6mentzum said:
Hi, the 'LE' means it is an Ephgrave. You are a very lucky person, is it your size ? Age wise 1951/2. Terry
Hi mate, i would say its a perfect size for me ....purely by chance though :shock:
any one know what the one on fleabay went for ??

mdvineng":121z299y said:

. . . . . . . as I mentioned previously, in the quote below . . . . . . .

lastpubrunner":121z299y said:
. . . . . . . there are any number of 'dealer-members ' within the V-CC; they 'preach' the 'need' for originality, but will have no qualms in purchasing entire bikes so that they can sell off the components. To some, profit is more important than originality and the club is happy to turn a blind eye to such proceedings.

The seller of the frame is a member of the V-CC and widely held in high regard.

Of course, the purchaser will feel obliged to fit 'original' parts, with the 'dealer-enthusiasts' eager to supply parts to complete the build.

Whilst doing so, they state the 'need' for 'originality', 'period parts', 'preservation' & 'conservation'. :LOL:

These vital parts will be provided from 'other period bikes' which are in turn, broken down (where's the preservation ? :? ) and so the process continues.

I'm sure that many 'dealer-enthusiasts' do genuinely enjoy their 'hobby' of old bikes, but they don't half make a tidy profit out of it.

I've put modern parts on most of my old frames and I have to say, I genuinely think that the bikes ride better for it.

Hi, this is not where this thread should be going but I thought I would add my view. This is a tricky subject which does arise now and then, with all hobbies and collectables there are dealers and customers, dealers vary in integrity and customers are always the people that have to pay the price. I myself try to use old parts where possible but will not pay thru the nose and if a modern alternative is available I will use it. I do mix modern components where necessary, as its no good going out on a ride with modern riders/bikes and you can't brake quickly enough ( vintage brakes can be so poor ! ). So as I far I see it, money, component flexibility and availability will dictate build decisions. The VCC ( I am a member ), to quote the website, 'promotes the riding and conservation of old cycles in addition to the study and exchange of information about the history of cycles and cycling' and they do an excellent job, the fact that some dealers are members, and some can take advantage of there knowledge, should not reflect on the VCC and its ideals. The lack of honesty and integrity I'm afraid, happens at most levels of this modern captialist society in which we live in, care is always needed when you buy anything. This is why open forums like this one helps to the spread the knowledge and extend everyone's knowledge. Terry

Thanks for your views on this guys, as i have said i have no real knowlege of road bikes of any age :oops: ...mountian bikes being my thing, up to now i have only restored one bike keeping very few of the original components, using instead a mix of much more modern parts or brand new, in my view this modern mix of parts made the bike a much better ride, but this is just my view and i am sure that there are many who thought it should have been restored to original condition .
As yet i am still unsure where i will go with this, as im sure many of you on here know the search for period corrrect parts can be long and expensive, and while searching for information on the interweb i have come across links to modern frame builders, i can say that some of what i have looked at can only be described as stunning, matching as they do classic design with the best modern components and materials, if i was to restore this frame that is probably the route i would go down, its my view that bicycles were ment to be riden ...hard... i also belive that when the original components on this frame were worn out the owner didnt replace them like for like but looked for lighter/stronger and longer lasting kit ...
as i say just my view ...but im sticking to it :LOL:
Again thanks to all who replied, retrobike comes good again !!

Latest posts

Back