Show us yer FSR's

Ya man! That'd be rad if I could get more travel out of this bike. Maybe I could keep it as my DH bike for a while.

would i be able to add a shock with a longer eye to eye with this linkage on my FSR?

99FSR_02.jpg

is anyone running a 'longer than 165mm eye to eye' shock on an original FSR link or uprated link as per my image above?

From my experience and research these frames came as standard with a variety of eye to eyes from 6" to 6.5". The later XC's came with 7".

So I doubt how critical a 165mm shock is. I suspect that within reasonable tolerances, the Stroke is what really matters. While Sag and i2i more directly control bb height?

BB height ist bottom bracket height. The distance from ground to the BB. If BB comes high, risk of getting stuck with your crank is lower. But higher BB changes your geometry.

I don't KNOW if 9.5" i2i is too much. But I THINK so. But just try, take a picture before and after the change to see changes in geometry. Then take a soft ride and report to us, we are curious ;)

I finally got aroung to measuring the i2i i've got mounted right now. It's 6.5 inches. There's no way a 9.5 would work. I might be able to get away with 7.5 i2i. Maybe 8? We'll see. I've got a good shock on it now; I'll only swap it if I find a killer deal.
Still looking for new set of forks tho.....

turns out the lowers on my forks AREN'T cracked! I pulled the decals off and couldn't find any cracks. I was getting oil from somewhere and it looked as if it was coming from under the decal. I'm stumped.
I did pull off the spring on my rear shock and got more measurments. i2i is 6.5"; shock travel is a meer 1.5"; and rear travel measured at the rear axel is 5". I was hoping for more rear travel; but it is a 99' model bike. I'm pretty sure on big drops I'm bottoming out my rear.
What kind of rear travel is everyone else getting with thier old skool FSRs?

Travel normally is 10cm/4". Tuning linkage come up to 12-13cm. And if you have a good damper, it feels quite modern and is definitely enough if you don't do downhill stuff. But that would also require modern disc brakes and no v-brakes ;) I don't think, you can bottom out a rear that is set-up well!

I just finished the upgrade to a BETD and one of the first DT swiss air dampers. Had a test ride yesterday in the backyard after 6 hours of turning new bolts, turning fitting screws, filing out the BETD. Felt like a curse, so much that did NOT fit...

edit: Now for some pictures. Still around 13,1 or 13,2kg. But now 130mm now front and back. And adjustable seat height.

edit: A german fella told me that this specific linkage has 144mm. Pew, that could explain the too sharp steerer angle!

large_fsr-lime-final.jpg

medium_fsr-kind-shock.jpg
medium_fsr-lime-dt-swiss.jpg

As you can see, there is almost NO room between the damper and the linkage. Filing ahoy... This bike is full of constructional flaws: Seat post does not allow to lower the saddle. For installing a new damper you need kid's hands as there is no room for fingers, bushes AND the damper on the upper screwholes. And so on. But I love it.

Setup for those who are interested:
FSR Extreme, '00 Z1 Drop Off 130mm, DT swiss 210, Mavic X517 rims, Whizzwheel spokes, complete XTR 950 groupset except BB (Stronglight), cranks (Race Face Turbine), headset (FSA). Kind Shock i900 300mm, BETD linkage, nc17 Mag platform pedals, Bontrager c20 saddle, Easton stem and bar, ODI grips, Continental Mountain King II 2.2.

:)

Has anyone tried a rear shock with 210 mm i2i with 61 mm stroke on a 99' ish FSR? It's got the upgraded gold linkage that came on the 99 FSR DH.
BTW, what shocks are you guys running on your FSRs?

Back