2001 Orange Mr O

@Enid_Puceflange Your updates on your MrO were the ones that always came up in the search...I have been following your posts for a while...kinda like a stalker...just far lazier!

First ride out...went to Ae forest...an old favourite for playing on...and very much to my suprise, the bike handled everything I could throw at it...effectively laughing in my face about the doubts I had. So much fun to ride, responsive and comfortable...I couldn't believe this was an 11 year old bike!

I ended up getting so confident that I did the 5 foot road gap on the Shredder. I was expecting to be slowly rolling over the jumps...so much so that I even took the work stand and OnOne frame with me so that if the MrO broke...I could still ride!

Here is a quick wee vid (all being well with links etc) of my friend falling short on the road gap due to the bike being a tank.
https://plus.google.com/photos/107432443336709164152/albums/posts/5765173748029228162

IMG_20120708_173445.jpg

Cool bike! I like the video of the roadgap being cased :LOL: I'd love to have a go on one of those some day.

I have my own retro orange (2003 223). It's not quite as old as yours, and it has a more modern build, but for a 9 year old frame, it's held up admirably in the face of some really sketchy riding, some big cases, a couple of races, a fortnight in the alps and weekly (sometimes daily) abuse in north wales. And that's only in the 4 months that I've had it! They really did build those old frames tough!

Here's a photo of mine

p4pb8162698.jpg

May they both be thrashed for many years to come!

porridj":pq50t27q said:
They are the plushest forks I have ever used...possibly the heaviest too!

However in the process of messing about with things...I may have broken the rebound adjuster....or something...as none of the twiddly bits do anything any more! I need to find a service manual or something!

You have a great shock there and the fork is not bad either, you could give mojo or tftuning a yell to see about your shock, the Fox RC is so far ahead of its time it can be custom shimmed and tuned to your weight and any broken pieces parts will be replaced and you even get a new shiny sticker (either company will do it).The forks I understand you said you had new seals but a full strip down, clean, oils rebuild would not go a miss as you got them so cheap and for how old they are if you really want to get the most out of this bike.

Probably better to get this done sooner rather than later as these parts are getting on and they may stop servicing them like other brands or types.

http://www.tftunedshox.com/service/marzocchi.aspx
http://www.tftunedshox.com/faq/fox_rear.aspx
http://www.mojo.co.uk/shockservice.html

@sam264 That is a wicked looking 223! Is that the original blue? Mine isn't a total retro build...especially at the moment...it is sporting a mono mini on the back and a saint mech, and proII with mavic 729 rims. But they will slowly be replaced as and when.

Speaking of wheels...what kind of wheels should I be looking for for this? Halo combats?

@heavyp Good advice on the shock...I wasn't going to get it done, but like you say...better sooner rather than later, be a shame to waste a good opportunity! As for the forks, once I have moved house I will certainly give them a clean...I put new oil in them 3 weeks ago...then decided to take the forks apart (just one leg) to see how they worked...the oil came out a very horid black colour...so a clean is in order for sure!

Cheers guys

ps. Ae downhill stepdown...doesn't look too big...but it feels it when you stand at the top staring down at the landing! https://plus.google.com/107432443336709 ... vLZJ8NRME1 Mr O handled it like it was nothing!

porridj":10zbdn8a said:
@heavyp Good advice on the shock...I wasn't going to get it done, but like you say...better sooner rather than later, be a shame to waste a good opportunity! As for the forks, once I have moved house I will certainly give them a clean...I put new oil in them 3 weeks ago...then decided to take the forks apart (just one leg) to see how they worked...the oil came out a very horid black colour...so a clean is in order for sure!

Yeah you cant go wrong having the best guys in the country if not the world for fox tuning/servicing not look at your shock and have it rebuilt and serviced for anything that needs fixing. Same goes for the forks its a different company but anything tf dont know isnt worth knowing, to have a professional inspect your forks and rebuild them using the best oils and grease to keep everything running buttery smooth whats there not to like.

I take it the cables are just routed and taped up to allow you to get this bad boy out on the trails huh? ;)

getit sorted mate!! :LOL: :LOL:

G

porridj":2it2mp0u said:
@sam264 That is a wicked looking 223! Is that the original blue? Mine isn't a total retro build...especially at the moment...it is sporting a mono mini on the back and a saint mech, and proII with mavic 729 rims. But they will slowly be replaced as and when.
Cheers mate! Nah, the blue is a respray, not sure what colour it was originally, I do like the blue though!
I prefer a mix of retro and new personally, keep the retro look, but keep the bike functional :)

Project has come to a halt for the time being...moving house and friends getting sick of me not wanting to do Lake District rides, so I build my hard tail back up and sent the MrO away to my brothers...for a possible vinyl wrap :D

Back