Do I really want to sell my Bontrager???

rufusw

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I'm thinking about selling my Bontrager Race OR

this is the spec

1994 - Bontrager Race OR Dark Blue (Santa Cruz built - Pre Trek)
1994 - Rock Shock - Mag 21 (Custom Brontrager Crown)
1994 - Full Shimano XT
Flite Saddle
Fast Feather Seat Post
Syncross Quill Stem
X-Lite Titanium Bar
Ride-On Gortex Cables
Onzo Ho pedals (New SPD's fitted now)

Attachments

• KIF_1274.jpg
    KIF_1274.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 871
Looks like the only way to find out is Fleabay.

Suppose it will find it's value there.

Maybe another question.

Should I sell my old Bonty and buy a nice new shiny Whyte 810???
I'm probably asking the wrong crowd here though ;)

Read the post above !!!! There is a valuation thread.

If you don't think you appreciate the bike any more then sell to someone on here who will :) I think you might regret it though. Modern bikes are a different beast altogether. I'm not saying you shouldn't get a new one, but its nice to have old and new.

I've changed my mail, & listed it elsewhere on the forum

I've only used it a handful of times in the last ten years & would like to get back into the sport.

I think I will stay hard tail. But have bike progressed as much as I think they have.

Yes the Bonty was awesome back in the day. But it's nearly 20 years old now.

Please let me know before I make a big mistake!!! I do love the Bonty and I know I'll regret it.

I did murder my mate both uphill & down last year on his big Orange 5!!! And I was totally out of shape.

Hi, DON'T SELL IT!

This is a great bike and with a bit of love (and updating) will be one of the best hard-tails you'll ever get to ride. Bonty's are great, strong, steel frames - a rare thing nowadays, and whilst modern bikes may be "fun", this is a steel thoroughbred and as such, deserves to be ridden that way.

Don't sell it - update it and ride it - then you'll see what a great frame and bike this is

am I being tricked by evil marketing people?

I've got my eye on a Whyte 810. Thing is you can't really give them a proper testing.

I remember when choosing the Bontrager. I couldn't test it either. But the MBUK at the time tested it, I think it dropped 1/2 a point, don't think I ever saw a bike with such a high score that I could afford. I know how good it is. But is a bike like the Whyte going to leave it standing today?

The Rock Shox still work fine, giving a massive 2" of travel :cool: I started mountain biking on rigid forks so I know how to pick lines. 24 gears is enough for any body & the brakes still slow me down. The hand built wheels are as true as they day they were spoked up.

Big travel forks & disk brakes appear to be very attractive. Again, are they all that they are cracked up to be?

I am old school at heart. I have a few days to come to a conclusion. With no idea what a fair price would be, I don't want to let it go for peanuts.

This all started a few months ago, getting fit again. My prize to myself would be a new bike once I reach my target. Getting close now. I've not really got the space for multiple bikes. Want to get back into climbing those hills!!!

If you want to get fit, buy a modern bike.

Big, heavy ass slow buggers them! They'll get you fit climbing the hills. :LOL:

Me, I'd stick with the Bonty. ;)

I feel your pain! :?

Once you start faffing around with up-to-the-minute bikes the lure does become very hard to resist...

...but do you really 'need' all that new technology?

I've been a die-hard rigid fan my whole life (well pushbikes anyway, motorbikes I like my comfort and performance!) but I've fitted a suss fork to my steel Explosif in place of the P2, and a U.S.E seatpost...

...now I'm fitting a longer travel, though still retro, fork; and I have a retro full-susser in the pipeline :cool:

I guess I'm saying "Keep your Bonty, but upgrade the suspension?" and you'll enjoy it more; and save yourself a wedge into the bargain ;)

Back