Recomend me a decent lock

Tazio":h2z2t6o3 said:
I wouldn't use a cable lock for anything decent. A lad I work with lost his keys to his cable lock and asked if I could help as I have access to tools. Despite him assuring me I would be lucky to get through his lock without a grinder my Felco cutters did it in one easy cut. D Locks all the way for me, or chain.

I echo this entirely, D-Locks all the way for any bike you value. Some Police forces are now combating cycle theft with a scheme offering Kryptonite D-Locks for under half price http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/police-reveal-400-000-trade-in-stolen-bikes-1-3517167

i cut through a mates cable lock with my brake/gear cable cutters :p took about 5 minutes.

D-locks (or U locks as they are also known) all the way. the only time i use a cable is to lock the front wheel to the frame if its quick release and have my long D lock running through the frame and back wheel and around the nearest immovable object.

the more of the bike lock you use, the less room the offender has to lever their tools in with.

twain":2km0uo50 said:
D-locks (or U locks as they are also known) all the way. the only time i use a cable is to lock the front wheel to the frame if its quick release and have my long D lock running through the frame and back wheel and around the nearest immovable object.

This.

I got the wheels stolen of a Kona once when I was waiting for a takeaway curry. Looked like a right eejit walking up the road carrying a curry and a bike.

Most expensive Rogan Josh I've ever had.

I keep 2, sometimes 3 bikes at work in the bike shed as the garage is full :)

Ideally, avoid riding anything worth having if you will be leaving it out in the wild, unattended, to be actioned by urban predators? Make them look for something else which looks to be worth more. I understand the sentiment that "Well, I paid for a nice bike, why should I let other people decide what I ride" but practically, the world is full of desperate people. Like anything, if it stands out, it will be noticed.

I read up on locks a lot last year. Avoid any of those cables/chains with those circular key holes, as you can apparently ram the end of a biro in them and pop them open.

Next step up is a D-lock. Should deter the casual thief who's carrying cable cutters. More serious thieves will either have a piece of scaffold or will steal something similar nearby and force this into the D, and then twist, to lever or break the lock open. Branches or small trees, even.

But these are probably the best bet for carrying if you are locking your bike up in different places, where you can't leave the lock in-situ. Harder crims will use bottle-jacks to force the ends apart, if the space inside the D permits this - hence, the more closed the D, the better.

Next step up is a thick chain. Not really portable but can be left in your regular spot. Think about the hole in the middle of each link - can they get a thick bar in there to twist/lever the link apart? Go for something that doesn't make this easy - small holes where a thick bar won't go.

You'll need bolt croppers to do these, so will usually be organised/pro crims who'll have these, in a van. They'll probably not bother with cheap bikes as they can take posh ones and/or motorbikes which have more resale value.

You also need to think about the padlock - when locked, you want very little space around the clasped link, so they can't get anything in there to lever it. I asked a motorcyclist here and he told me about these folk below, who I must stress, I have no business or personal involvement with:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

I ended up getting a 2-metre Immobiliser4 job, with the Squire padlock. It is very, very heavy. It lives at work. It cost about £200, but I can lock 3 bikes together with this - so less than £70 a bike, you are getting something that people trust to guard £15K's worth of Ducati.

Their site is interesting enough, just to see how little resistance the "Big Name" brands offer to bolt-croppers etc. I use my D locks now for securing the forks to the frame etc. Our site also has 24-7 security guards and cameras but a bloke did steal a bike a few years back, rode up on a piece of sh*t, pliers through someone's £5 cable, and off he went. 10 seconds the whole lot, gone before anything could be done.

Nowt gone since :) Touch wood.

I have a kryptonite D lock for at home or if i`m out on a proper ride and i know i will have to leave it, to be honest, i have used it once outside when i did a bit of shopping, the rest of the time its used to lock the bike up in the man cave overnight.

At work i have a massive thick motorbike chain + padlock that i leave in the bike shed, wieghs a ton and is probably the heaviest duty thing in the shed LOL

Bikes have been nicked from work in the past, some numpties dont even lock the bike up, i left last night at 2am and 2 of them had no locks, one of them had what looked like black string locking it to the shed frame, and one had a cheap cable lock going from the front wheel up to the seat rail post (which the seat post had a QR on it wtf)

One numptie at work about 3 years ago locked his bike up from the front wheel only, his front wheel is still locked to the shed to this very day, the bike is long gone :LOL: impressed that the tyre is still up as well to be honest, must be a good quality innertube.

Our bike shed is now fully enclosed with security code access for the main door, the bike folk are a kind of close knit group, but the business is expanding and a LOT of new folk are joining, they all seam to be daft younguns and nobody trusts them :LOL:

I have came to work and found the door open because some bellend could not be arsed to close it properly.

Didn't fancy another D lock as they're a pain to carry but I guess I can get one and leave it in the cycle store to save lugging it about. Still have my old Kyrpto lock from '94 but I guess I would be better buying a new one.

Back