2001 Saracen Addiction - to rebuild or not to rebuild!

Hicksy123

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I just signed up to the forum after I saw a few threads on here about the Saracen Addiction. I'm trying to figure out what to do with my old 2001 model with the 98 groupset. It's been 'well used' over the years when I used to ride and could really do with a full fork, shock, brakes, bushing, bearings, retapping a rounded bolt on the rear end and new bearings in the Deemaxes too.

Spec is:

2001 Frame with Risse Racing rear end
1998 Boxxers
Deemax hubs and rims
Hope DH4's
Middleburn RS7's with Goldtec chainring

Is it worth me embarking on a rebuild to get this back up to a decent sellable condition, or is it probably just worth breaking for parts and trying to get a bit of cash that way.

I know it's only a saracen, but maybe they still have an appeal as surely they were rare with a £3500 price tag!

I'll get some pics up later for anyone who's interested in seeing the beast!

Cheers!

Did you mean to post this in the 1998-onwards section???

Think we need to see some pics before casting opinions :)

Oops, thought I might get away with it in chat. Mods feel free to move it if needs be.

I'll pop some pics up tomorrow then!

sure it's worth spending some cash on it if your keeping it ;) i use my san andreas every other day for dh and will keep doing so until it breaks :LOL:

the frames still make a good £150+ on ebay and you caould have a look about the site to price the rest of your parts . i always likes these old saracen dh bikes :D

Cheers for the advice - I think it's time to price up bearings, bushings and service parts. If anyone's done this before it would be great to get a ball park figure of how much the parts cost. I just bought a new DH rig as I'm off on a spontaneous DH holiday to France and didnt think the Saracen would be up to it or rebuilt in time, but maybe it could be a fun little freeride bike built up with 4-6" travel and some new single crowns.

Here's a litte snap - excuse the dark garage but it was lashing it down outside!

2012-07-14110200.jpg

Mmmmm i too have always liked these.
Does it have the risse linkage? (I think some had that).
Rebuild i think.

May be about the same either way though.

Yep it's got the Risse Racing rear end so was fully adjustable. I put a different shock on it though as 6" was more than enough travel in those days!

Back