My parts at NAHBS custom bike show

God, what an awful looking bike.

Brown leather saddles and brown bar tape = "retro" fakery.

I'd prefer a modern looking bike than this mess, at least it wouldn't be trying be something it is not.

Sorry but putting an old logo on current and new parts is also fakery.

And wood (along with carbon fibre) must be the stupidest material for rims that are used with a rim brake.

I for one am happy to see posts like this in here. Bit different if nothing else.

Are the guards not the crud catcher road guards?

fiks":3pv08nn1 said:
God, what an awful looking bike.

Brown leather saddles and brown bar tape = "retro" fakery.

I'd prefer a modern looking bike than this mess, at least it wouldn't be trying be something it is not.

Sorry but putting an old logo on current and new parts is also fakery.

And wood (along with carbon fibre) must be the stupidest material for rims that are used with a rim brake.

:) You don't like it then :D

Wooden wheel guide here http://www.dcrwheels.co.uk/custom-wheel ... oden-rims/ interesting read.

Let's hope my newish retro style build is more aesthetically pleasing!

I think the guards are crud catchers.

Thanks Foz, I agree imo the group looks fantastic :)

This is the guys 1st frame and bike build. Can't fault it myself, there's some beautiful lugwork, great paint and anyone who can pull off something like this on their first build deserves all the credit they can get.

There again, if you want a stream of negativity and criticism, post it on a UK forum :LOL:

Tel":1vgi49me said:
....actually I'm not sure what I am apologising for or whether one is even due :?
I didn't mean to suggest you had anything to apologise for.

It just strikes me that a post that's saying, in essence, "Hey! Check out these modern parts (that I modify and resell commercially), fitted to a modern bike" would be better placed in the modern for sale section. If you disagree, and John doesn't mind you advertising your products here, I guess it's not a problem.

For what it's worth, I think your components look good, but personally I'd prefer the logos screenprinted rather than engraved.

There's always a lot to enjoy at the NAHBS, but it can also be a bit of a freak show at times, and I think Paul Sadoff's criticisms - cynical thought they may be - are not wide of the mark.

This DeSalvo is gorgeous, though personally I'd prefer a steel unicrown fork:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53243955@N05/7044485365/

Robbied196":27efydad said:
This is the guys 1st frame and bike build.
He doesn't mention that fact on the website he uses to advertise his services as a custom framebuilder...

If I'd known it was a first effort I might not have been so forthright. He clearly has the chops: let's hope he develops some taste.

one-eyed_jim":1qafc67b said:
Tel":1qafc67b said:
....actually I'm not sure what I am apologising for or whether one is even due :?
I didn't mean to suggest you had anything to apologise for.

It just strikes me that a post that's saying, in essence, "Hey! Check out these modern parts (that I modify and resell commercially), fitted to a modern bike" would be better placed in the modern for sale section. If you disagree, and John doesn't mind you advertising your products here, I guess it's not a problem.

I do not percieve this as advertising. I think Tel's intention was to share a showbike he did some work on.

Personally I do like the engraving more than lettering that fades over time.

Btw that Desalvo creation: what is dirt roadbike? Another niche people are supposed to blow their money on? Are we back where we came from: a roadbike with the ruggedness of Champion Mondial?

Elev12k":b3rsbjgc said:
Btw that Desalvo creation: what is dirt roadbike? [...] a roadbike with the ruggedness of Champion Mondial?
Pretty much: a rugged road bike with wide-ratio gears and clearance for fatter tyres.

Are we back where we came from?
One of the reasons I like retro bikes is that I tend to prefer where we came from to where we've ended up.

Back