Campag 8 Speed Chain Chatter

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
i have 8 speed indexed C record with the matching downtube shifters on my old road bike. as this kind of techology was after my time in the workshop, can anyone tell me why on earth the rear mech "tinkles" the spokes in the lowest gear and when i get up out of the seat on a climb, the chain always jumps down on to the second lowest gear sprocket?!

it's all as good as new so wear is not a consideration here.

many thanks,
craig

Usually the first is because the mech hanger is slightly bent - alternatively the cage is.
The second is usually because the shifter so too loose - try tightening the shifter screw fitting.

I agree with the above. If the age is bent you might be able to straighten it a bit. If the hanger is bent and the best way to tell is with an allignment gauge these can e striaghtened very sucessfully.

thanks for those ideas.

the rear mech is perfect and the frame has never been damaged which rules out alignment problems. the adjustment screws are perfectly adjusted - screw IN the "LOW" setting screw and the chain won't climb up on the the top cog, screw it out any and it will go into the back wheel.

now - what about the chain? i'm using a KMC 8 speed that's supposed to be compatible with campag record set up. does anyone know of these chains being incompatible or even just a bit dodgy with indexed systems? i'm wondering if a genuine campag chain would perhaps cure this problem. after all, there's not really that much difference in price between the two.

any thoughts?!

craig

Back