Making a '96 Record into a Compact

Yup, I saw that one. The only reason I followed up with the German route was that the Dotbike reviews mention the 13-28 but there is none to add to the shopping basket. As it turns out it looks like the German's don't have the 28 either. I'll wait and see if they say it is compatible before I approach Dotbike.

"Product was good but I was unable to use it in the manner I thought I may have been able to execute"
Not 100% accurate when throwing at the kids?

Thanks a mill for taking a look into that Tel! I appreciate the advice and your time. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and bike 24 are only €21 plus €10 post while Dotbike are £30 (€36) plus. :roll:

What rear mech are you using? you might want to check it will handle a 28 before splashing out. Short cage Campag mechs usually only go as far as 26 on the back.

Mark.

Good point Mark! Yeh, first I want to see if the Miche will fit at all and if it does get into the issue of largest possible sprocket. It's a Record mech.

I sent a mail to three different suppliers of the same part. 1 said it would fit, one said it would not and the other said it might. :LOL:

To be fair it was Neill at Dotbike that siad it "might" and then told me what to look for. When I mentioned that my problem is that the hub is (most likely is) the more rare '96 Record Titanium that is not compatible with Exadrive, he went on to tell me that a 9 speed casset with one sprocket removed and spacers for an 8 speed may do. He also sent links to a web site where this very issue was discussed. Whether it works or not I'd have to give him a nod of approval for his work to answer a question for a 30 quid part. :cool:

If the worst comes to the worst I'll end up selling a couple of retro bikes to save up for a new machine that does not kill me in the mountains. I'll have to pop up to the higher forums to see if anyone wants a '97 GT Avalanche. :p

Think I have parts of an old Campagnolo 9 speed cassette that you could try.

Have you got a picture of the spline pattern that you require?

26t probably is the max your short cage mech will take. I fitted one before but had to change the adjuster screw (can't think of the right name for it) for a longer one as the mech did not clear the larger sprocket very well so was a little clunkier than I would allow.

Once again the generosity of retro members shines through. :cool: I'm in Ireland, the trouble of packing and posting a cassette would not be something I'd expect anyone to go through for this exercise but your offer is very much appreciated. Plus I've got a great mechanic friend who is p'd off with me picking his brains already so I'm sure I can't do any more damage to our relationship by bringing the latest update to him.:LOL:

I've not stripped the cassette off yet because its only in the last days that I realised the 8 speed 96 Ti is such an odd ball. I'll take a look when I get a sec but at least now thanks to Dotbike I know what I'm looking for (to a point). To 95 they used Exadrive on the Record and from 97 they went to 9 speed. The only year they had this hub was for the 96 Record Ti. Chorus that year was still Exadrive 8 speed. My brake leavers & rear mech have the "Record Titanium" monaker and I did order the groupset complete in Jan 96 but there I still need to be sure when I look at the splines that it is actually a 96 hub.

For the record, forgive the pun, here's the bike: Giant Peloton Super Lite 1997/98 with 1996 Record Group

Nice find Mark! It does indeed sum it up to the letter, not only why the Exadrive 8 and the Ti 8 differ, but why the later 9 speed cassette works. Cheers!

Back