More unboxing - bargain stylee ;>) (tiny Kona content)

No, it was preserved under a fine layer of dirt :LOL: . I spent a couple of days touching up the scuffed decals (still need to do the downtube one) and then polished the whole thing with car wax. The fork stickers should probably be replaced eventually as they are a bit of a mess but it's just storage damage - no wear to the chain, chainrings or tyres so it's certainly not had a hard life. I've even reused the original gear cables and outers (mainly because I didn't have any long enough in the toolbox and I'm impatient :LOL: ). I may rebuild the wheels as the spokes are quite tarnished but the rims and hubs are perfect.

Something about this tickles my fancy; the red, silver and purple. You wouldn't think it would work but it does. Not a fan of the seat but other than that, it's spot on.

I have this exact bike! Same, since new! Same frame size, everything. All still on its original joe murray gear, except for the bars, not quite as pristine as this but I give it all my love and it runs smooth and fast. Pin-sharp handling, this bike is a mini-beast. The frames are excellent - mine's paint is looking a bit marked and scuffed but it will get a full refurb, no effort spared. When I have the money and time to afford it the work it deserves, it is going to be completely rebuilt to perfection but for on-road speed with a unique design theme.....

Lucky I didn't spot this on ebay, I'd have fought you for it!!!

Do get in touch if you want to share 1993 kona hahanna-related excitement... :mrgreen:

Attachments

• knoa.jpg
    knoa.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 653
Damn, I bet that's nippy :cool: - looks fantastic!

Drop me a PM if you ever fancy a pair ;) - much as I've enjoyed the restoration I'm considering selling it on to free up some cash for the next project . . . just can't help myself :LOL:

RockiMtn":3gcq5i41 said:
i guess Kona is the most readily available brand to search for such small frame sizes. picked this fire mountain up for my sis a few years back. :D

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=63864

Is this essentially the same frame as the Hahanna? Actually, just looked it up, of course it is, I knew there was another model with the same frame. Do love the colour of that one! Big big fan. Shame you sister didn't value this! I'm trying to think of the word for what I'm turning mine into...well something for racing on the road, since it is heading for a refurb and I love riding it fast so much I thought I'd take it all the way...at 5'6" and with a very tall seat post I very much enjoy the riding position and the handling its spot on for me....

...if you have one to sell on let me know (I got beaten to it for 'mamadirt's apparently...:/). Reading the thread on your sister' 'preferences' reminds me of the last bike I build with/for a friend....it was a white 80's Raleigh sprint frame I restored, became a beautifully fast single speed with bright pink grip tape, a suede saddle and a hooter....but at 25" only for tall girls (or the distinguished gent who currently rides it!)

I might open a rescue home for these 14" old kona frames, and depending how my first project goes I might do custom refurbs and build a fleet for myself. Such a big fan.

DMZ":11krclub said:
I might open a rescue home for these 14" old kona frames, and depending how my first project goes I might do custom refurbs and build a fleet for myself. Such a big fan.

I might be up for another one too . . . reckon I'd like to go for a more modern build next time, Kula maybe . . . damn, there's no hope is there ;) :LOL:

Back