Worst nightmare....

I hit a pedestrian the other day on my bike, bloke stepped out onto my path without looking, I saw him and decided not to take evasive action :D

As far as cars go I try and stay away from them, country lanes, muddy tracks etc. all better options even if they're slower.

Neil G":14qm8zms said:
I hit a pedestrian the other day on my bike, bloke stepped out onto my path without looking, I saw him and decided not to take evasive action :D

Let us hope thats not what goes through a bus drivers mind if you accidentally do the same ;)

Neil G":1t5tlfa7 said:

As far as cars go I try and stay away from them, country lanes, muddy tracks etc. all better options even if they're slower.

Neither big nor clever. I can't find a link now but a guy who purposely plowed in to pedestrians in the road and killed one ended up in prison.

It is always difficult behind cyclists on the road because I don't want them to feel I'm rushing/harassing them because I know how that feels, yet I don't want to cut them off by passing.

Some drivers really don't care though, my mate thinks all cyclists should be banned and really cuts them off at any chance. I think it is based on the perceived ability to get ahead, making faster progress than the car driver seems to wind them up. Usually it is only a very small gain that is quickly eroded as the traffic starts to move again.

I always thought it was illegal to cycle on pavements as an adult? Certainly in my mind unless you are on a tow path or cycle lane I wouldn't go there.

I walk quite a lot back n forth work in Cardiff and I've flattened at least two cyclists whilst on foot, too scared to be on the road but macho as hell on the pavement because suddenly they are immoveable object....not when I grab hold of your bars and spit you into the floor! :twisted:

Magsy":26lwlsoy said:
I think it is based on the perceived ability to get ahead, making faster progress than the car driver seems to wind them up.
Something I've encountered in recent years, too - can't say as I noticed it in previous times.

Things like ASLs (advanced stop lines) perhaps facilitate it more than in previous times - but they're not everywhere, so don't account for all resentment or cyclists being able to get ahead / filter past stationary cars - drivers' attitudes have definitely changed over time, in terms of hostility to cyclists.

In truth, though, cyclists attitudes and behaviour have changed, too - whether that's merely reactive, or as a similar evolution to what's happened with drivers, who knows...

I think, quite naturally, an increasing number are cycling by necessity rather than choice.

Some may have little reason to care how the cycling community at large are viewed long term.

just to add to this...when i teach cycling prof...all the car drivers are polite and careful around them.i wonder what they would be like if they didnt have hi viz vests on....

footnote
should all cyclists and mbikers wear h viz vests by law ~?
as far as im aware in france its going to be mandatory for all mbikers to have too.from there its a short step for all on two wheels id say.

Back