deciding on a shimano groupset and for which frame

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i have a spare road frame currently doing nothing. my Fausto Coppi Galaxy, i have always loved it since buying it new in '99. i have ridden it in the Alps including Alp d'Huez.

i am thinking of rebuilding it but i am trying to decide on what to build it with.

first of all i am a campagnolo fan but i find myself drawn to 8speed ultegra, i have always liked this group, to me it's an underdog groupset like DX seems in mountain bike terms, and i like that.

that said i find myself thinking, i have the Orange Dynamo2 which was specced with ultegra from the factory which means i could put the 9 speed record from the dynamo on to the coppi and then get ultegra for the dynamo.

also it makes more sense to me to have the italian groupset on the italian frame

what do you think?

here's a pic of the D2 as it currently is and also a pic of the Coppi frame aswel as a pic of the ultegra i'm thinking of going for.

Attachments

• my dynamo.jpg
    my dynamo.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 364
  • galaxy.jpg
    galaxy.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 364
  • ultegra mech.jpg
    ultegra mech.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 364
That mech looks like a 600 tricolour to me which I think is a little before your frame.........it's late though and I've had a long day LOL

Shaun

yeah this model of ultegra would be early for the Coppi frame but i think it's about right for the Dynamo, the record on the Dynamo however is about right for the Coppi.

Sounds like youve already made your mind up ;) and I agree.

That Coppi is crying out for Campagnolo. Think the 600 group would go better on the Orange. You may have to do something about those gold rims though....

I agree with Tel! The rims might look quite good on the coppi though, depending what saddle, tape, bottle cages, etc you put on.

No question. Shimano on a Coppi is like socks with sandals. :shock:

Campag on the Coppi, and pop the Shimano on the dynamo.

the thing is though, the Coppi was originally the team polti model (it was yellow, was repainted) which was a dura ace equipped bike so although i'd prefer campag on there shimano isn't that out of order on it. the rims on the dynamo are actually orange and they look great on that bike because of the orange stickers hence my reluctance to strip that bike, those wheels have been in the coppi before and don't look out of order as white goes with anything, also the grey of the ultegra and the grey frame might look a little . . . well grey!

thanks for the comments though :)

also, i'd have to find the ultegra first, it seems to be not too rare and comes in at a reasonable price aswel

Back