GT Saturn Team Fillet brazed

SeeingisBelievingGTMuseum

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
1998 GT Saturn Team. I've had this one for a while and finally got a round to completing it with the period correct parts. Frame is fillet brazed Reynolds 853 with Dura Ace 7700 build. Frame was built at GT's Tech Shop in Longmonty, CO. These were raced by a number of the current Pro Tour riders now racing in the Tour de France including Leipheimer and Horner back when they were Saturn Team members. This one in particular was raced by one of the McCormack brothers.

Attachments

• GEDC0732.JPG
    GEDC0732.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,727
  • GEDC0733.JPG
    GEDC0733.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,727
  • GEDC0723.JPG
    GEDC0723.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,727
  • GEDC0734.JPG
    GEDC0734.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,727
Nice! Is that the original paint? Looks really good to say the least. That DA stuff really suits the frame.

Iwasgoodonce":2lygnduv said:
Nice! Is that the original paint? Looks really good to say the least. That DA stuff really suits the frame.

Yes, original paint but like most team bikes when they have a mechanic always working on them they are kept in good condition.

Please excuse my ignorance as I'm a 70's cyclist but that stem would not have sold in the shop that I worked in as it looks like it has been "welded" by a blind person .......people would have bought a Cinelli / 3ttt / milremo / SR etc.

Is it very light ??

Shaun

Midlife":2kfgz29h said:
Please excuse my ignorance as I'm a 70's cyclist but that stem would not have sold in the shop that I worked in as it looks like it has been "welded" by a blind person .......people would have bought a Cinelli / 3ttt / milremo / SR etc.

Is it very light ??

Shaun

Um...well in the late 90's with all the mountain bike influence much of the road stuff and particularly the aluminum stuff was TIG welded because it could be built lighter that way. The stem on this bike makes a Cilnelli feel like a naval anchor.

gm1230126":3q9aoir0 said:
Midlife":3q9aoir0 said:

Is it very light ??

Shaun

Um...well in the late 90's with all the mountain bike influence much of the road stuff and particularly the aluminum stuff was TIG welded because it could be built lighter that way. The stem on this bike makes a Cilnelli feel like a naval anchor.

Light it may be but the weld is atrocious, my father was a professional welder /boilermaker for years and in his later years working on reactor welding in submarines, he would recoil in horror at the mess that is that stem. Spoils the look of what is other wise a nice looking machine.

Midlife":32riu0ql said:

Is it very light ??

Shaun

All due respect to the blind, but I agree, and welded by a blind person with their feet!

Plus the stem is far too bulky, you're suggesting that stem is that much lighter than a Cinelli 1a?

Overall I like it, especially the Hellenic frame, other details could be improved though.

Rk.

Saturn

Hey I'm curious about these bikes. I've got one and I'm wondering about its provenance and frame material. Any experts here?

Latest posts

Back