Colnago Carbitubo

stringfellow1946

Senior Retro Guru
Another one from my collection of old retro bikes. Not any particular pro team kit but Tony Rominger was a regular user of the Carbitubo & the Bi Titanio Frames.

Colnago 58cm Carbitubo
Campagnolo 7 Speed friction gears
Campagnolo 172.5 mm Chainset 53/39
Campagnolo C- Record Front Gear
Campagnolo C-Record Rear Gear
Campagnolo C-Record 32 hole Hubs
Colnago Carbon Seat Post
Campagnolo Delta Brakes
Campagnolo C-Record Brake levers
Campagnolo SGR Pedals
Cinelli XA Stem 90cm
Cinelli 66-42 bars.
Rolls Saddle
Mavic Open Pro 32 hole Rims
Michelin Pro 3 Race, Service Course Tyres
Sachs 12-23 7 speed Free wheel

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMG_0726.jpg
    IMG_0726.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMG_0805.jpg
    IMG_0805.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4,360
  • IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,360
oldmuthariley":15fsosu5 said:
nice!
are the rims 2012 open pros?
yea could be as thats all I had at the time. It really needs a pair of retro tub rims, mavic or campag. But these will do for the time being

Another stunner.... :shock: There's obviously more to the Isle of Wight than yachts and seagulls. Just out of interest, are you still adding to your collection or have you stopped now? And is there a theme or are they just bikes you like?

Rich34":3cbabh1u said:
Another stunner.... :shock: There's obviously more to the Isle of Wight than yachts and seagulls. Just out of interest, are you still adding to your collection or have you stopped now? And is there a theme or are they just bikes you like?

Thanks Rich
Firstly re "There's obviously more to the Isle of Wight than yachts and seagulls" there is Pop Festivals. http://www.cwiw.co.uk/

The original idea was to try to build up a collection of the early carbon fiber frames built in the more traditional way with round tubes, before they all disappear in these throw away days we now live in.
These early carbon frames were in my opinion groundbreaking at the time & were the forerunners to the monocoque abortions that we now see used everyday, but that’s progress I suppose.
Many of the early model alloy lugged carbon frames, used to come apart (un glued) on a fairly regular basis & they had a pretty bad reputation in the late 80’s to early 90’s. That said the TVT was probably the most used & reliable at the time & used by a lot of top professional teams & riders in those days. Even the first Look KG86 in frames in 1968 were made by TVT. That said I have had at least one TVT (that I sold brand new) come apart where the seat tube joins into the bottom bracket, all be it after a few years use.
It was only when Colnago built the Carbitubo, which was the forerunner to the iconic C40 & started to use Carbon lugs rather than alloy that carbon really came of age. (Mind you winning Paris-Roubaix also helped) & we then moved on to the monocoque frames now used. Also whilst all this was going on, Titanium the so-called wonder material came & went.
I also have a steel Colnago Master & a Kirk Magnesium
BUT the bottom line is that it’s only the frame makers & types that I personally like or think that are iconic that I collect.
Other people quite rightly have their own ideas as to what they personally think is iconic & collectable and that CAN ONLY BE A GOOD THING.

Yea I'm still adding to the collection when stuff becomes available Rich.
I’ve also got a fairly good collection of early Look clip less pedals, maybe I should photograph & put these up as well?

Hope I haven't bored the arse of you with all of this?

stringfellow1946":cdf2vpj3 said:
[Hope I haven't bored the arse of you with all of this?

Not at all!

I have a more diverse collection of bikes (including road bikes, touring bikes and mountain bikes) and the only common theme is that mine all have steel frames. I think it's really interesting that you chose that specific carbon era, and I agree that it was technically a very significant time.

I for one would be interested to see your collection of Look pedals (why does it feel weird typing that?!) because if you can show which model was made in which year it would be useful in finding the correct model for a build. I'm not too fussy about getting the year of every single component spot-on but I try to get my builds more or less coherent to within a few years.

So do lots of collections have themes ? I have been building up "era" bikes with different Dura ace groups (Its getting expensive now) I started with A steel SLX Merckx and 7400 but I don't like Downtube shifters and single pivot brakes as much as later STI groups and dual pivot braking! My current Time frame project calls out for 7900 set and as many Time components as possible . I usually go for look delta pedals or I have a few scuffed sets of DA7401 "lance" pedals

I have got an Italian bug right now and was considering a mid 80s steely but It might be a waste of time/money

ps do you have any Kestrel 4000 plans stringfellow1946 ? I consider it early (and nice) carbon.

latman":3t6u5nkp said:
ps do you have any Kestrel 4000 plans stringfellow1946 ? I consider it early (and nice) carbon.
Latman
I have no idea if anyone else has a themed collection or even if its the right or wrong thing to do. To be honest I just swan along & do exactly what I like & sod what anyone else thinks, if they like it fine. If the don't like it thats fine with me as well.
I have several bikes built with Dura-Ace 7400/02 some with 7 speed down tube shifters & some with the 8 speed STI levers, but none with dual pivot brakes. I am considering building something steel framed with a Dura-Ace 7400 AX groupset.
I also have a couple more carbon framed bikes built with a complete Campagnolo Croce D'Aune groupset & another with the first edition Chorus groupset, only because in my opinion these need to be saved & used on restoration projects just as much as the C-Record Delta & Dura Ace groupsets, in fact more so in my opinion as every man & his dog uses the Record Delta & DA groups, when in actual fact the CDA is much more difficult to come by as it was only made for a couple of years & the orignal Chorus very quickly started getting updated.

re the pedals I have tried to use the correct period Look & Time pedals on the bikes. One also has Dura-Ace 7410 SPD (NOT LA) & another SGR's. Again the development of the clipless pedal more or less came in with & run alongside the early carbon framed bikes. I know there was one or two earlier makes before Look made them more or less standard equipment.

NO I can't see myself adding a 1987 Kestrel 4000 monocoque carbon to my collection. Just not my cup of tea, if you read my earlier ramblings. But I expect that someone out there loves them? BUT I'm just not that person.

Back