Santa Cruz Tazmon

Starting to go back together now: -

WornAstro5.jpg

Astro5InBits.jpg

Rebuilt the shock, including replacing the shaft. That had worn really badly because the eccentric pivot was seized. I think I will have to replace the bushes in the end of the shock, and get a new eccentric pivot made, but will try the old one first.
Rebuilding the shock was easy except inserting the new shaft through the main bearing nut and seals. Changed all the bearings in the swingarm too.

RebuiltFrame.jpg

I really liked the raw soda blasted finish, but it marked easily. I have quickly polished it all over around the tubes with scotchbrite to give it a sort of brushed finish, which I still really like.
I need to polish the rear section more thoroughly to try and get rid of some of the corrosion marks but I can't really be arsed at the minute.

Frame weight as shown with all stainless fixings and the seat clamp is 6lb6oz. Need to get some bolts to fill in the missing canti bosses, and re-fit the disc mount.

I'm still in the process of drawing the old decals up, which is taking far longer than I ever dreamed of!

I don't have a colour scheme in mind yet, the wheels have red hubs, but all the other bits and pieces will probably end up black or silver.

Forks next....

TazmonAsBoughtPaceRC36.jpg

Tasman

Really interesting project this. How "smooth", is the front triangle after soda blasting then? I have an early Heckler in the shed awaiting a complete refurb, it's been badly re painted black, but over the original blue, so was thinking of a strip and polished finish myself too, (dremel and buffing wheel ;) ) What paint are you thinking of then?

After a bit of a sneak preview at Mountain Mudhem I've finally got this back in one piece as my regular rider:

Tazmon_End1.jpg

Tazmon_End2.jpg

Hardly got any miles on it yet, but I'm sure I will get to know it well soon!

Current build is:
1996 Santa Cruz Tazmon with Risse Genesis shock
Pace RC36 Proclass forks
Hope C2 Brakes with dropout calipers and specific hubs - looks like a manufactured rear caliper mount rather than a homemade special as originally thought
Hope Ti-Glide hubs on Mavic 317 / 321 rims - need to get a matching pair of something
Continental Traction Pro tyres (cheers Reki!)
XT 737 mechs, shifters, chainset, pedals, headset
Syncros Seatpost with Flite Gel saddle
Control Tech stem
Coda bars with Ritchey True Grip grips
Hope Sport brake levers - need a front Pro lever so I can replace the pair

It has a higher longer position than my other Tazmon, which suits my [slightly] older body better.
Comes off the scales at 29.5lb, which suprises me as my other one is around 26lb.

Still want to get some replica decals made, and would like to replace the hubs, skewers and seat clamp with silver pieces to get rid of the red ano.
I need to find some M10x1.0 plugs to fill the unused canti mounts, and come up with a way to replace the one rear disc hose cable tie.
I'm really pleased with the finish of brushed alu, polished alu and black, just wish I could take a picture which shows the contrast well!

Next stop the Gates ride....

That looks fantastic Phil,youve done very well there :D Very well indeed.

You may have noticed i've finally decided my project isnt going to get finished and have sold the frame,forks and a few bits on.I just couldnt get the flaming shock apart and couldnt face another £200 for a new one.

Nice to see how it would have looked :cool:

Can you pop up a pic of the disc side so i can get a look at the mount set up :?
Ta

Here you go Dyna-Ti

20120715_125350.jpg

20120715_125530.jpg

I thought it was a home made mount at first, but it is anodised and quite nicely machined in some respects, so now I'm not so sure.
For my other bike I'm going to try and make a mount that clamps around the flat drop out but also having a support that braces against the seatstay like this mount.

Such a shame you didn't have a chance to ride yours, good luck with your next project!

Did you get it o0n ebay about 3 or 4 months ago,i seem to remember one with a brace like that on it selling recently.
Hard to know if its home made or not,so many adaptors available then .The other clamp type ive seen is a little triangle shape that bolts onto the caliper and jubilee clips onto the stay :? I'd one like that on the clockwork.
People get all worried and technical on its attachment,will it be secure?? :LOL: I think so :LOL:

Attachments

• sony_md_029_medium_200_986.jpg
    sony_md_029_medium_200_986.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 953
I don't think the adaptor on the Tazmon is home-made, as I had the EXACT same one on an old LTS frame of mine.

Love the bike, by the way :cool: :cool:

Barneyballbags":ycd32azc said:
I don't think the adaptor on the Tazmon is home-made, as I had the EXACT same one on an old LTS frame of mine.

Love the bike, by the way :cool: :cool:

Ah-hah! Mystery solved then. It's a far neater bit of work than the rod and rose joint arrangement my mate had.

Cheers,
Phill

Back