Indy Fab Deluxe SS '98

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Just picked up this beauty today.
Been after a steel SS bike for a while since I sold my too small Sunn, and this ticks all the boxes :cool:

It's a 1998 frame, Reynolds 853, 18" seat-tube & 23" top-tube.
Custom paint job - Seb said that when they asked him what he wanted he let them come up with something cool!
Hope front and rear hubs on Mavic 517 SUP rims, IRC Notos 2.1 tyres, Marzocchi Z2 forks, 1997 Flite, Syncros Stem and bars, and I've just swapped the seatpost for a 29.4 Syncros one from the spares bin.
The levers and cranks are XT, but I'll be swapping the cranks for some Middleburns and am will be on the lookout for some nicer V-brakes. I have spare maguras, but I think they would ruin the lines of the bike.

if_x_004.jpg

Photo courtesy of Seb, the previous owner from new.

Some updated photos when I've swapped some of the bits over (and the sun is shining!)

Just pondering whether to fit Pace RC36s on this or leave the Marzocchi's in place.................hmmmm.

Been pondering again, and I think I like the style of the Z2s for the mo'.

Changes so far:
Black Syncros seatpost. Suits the back end colour and style of the bike much better.
Swapped the stem for a polished Raceface Deus XC one. Less rise and slightly shorter than the Syncros, and it matches the silver theme of the front end.
Got some CB Eggbeater SL pedals to fit, and just awaiting a 122mm axle BB to fit the Middleburn RS2s to.
I'm also bidding on some rather nice brakes on Ebay. Fingers crossed ;)

this bike is ace, im sure you will have many many hours of trail blazing fun on this beauty. ive owned 6 indy fabs, 5 of which have been ss, nothing comes close. try and find some vicious cycles or IF steel forks and you will never look back :cool:

You're right soem 98 XT V's would look much nicer than Maguras. Love that frame. Just perfect. Any chance of some close ups?

That's FANTASTIC oldschool Indy paint. Jealous!

I'd go with z2's. They've held up under the test of time, performance and reliability wise v. my old SIDs by a considerable margin.

456_rich":1l5vlacm said:
You're right some 98 XT V's would look much nicer than Maguras. Love that frame. Just perfect. Any chance of some close ups?

Hoping to get some nicer Vs soon. Just making a few additions/changes and the I'll take some nice photos.

Nice bike, don't make it less nice with Pace forks!!

al. :D

al":2m376k6m said:
Nice bike, don't make it less nice with Pace forks!!

:LOL: Well I do have a soft spot for them.......currently 3 sets of RC36s in the house, and I've recently sold some RC36s, RC35s, and some RC38s :oops: I may have oversubscribed!

I just fitted the Middleburn RS2s, and they put the chainline out by miles. So the XT cranks are back on. I do have some RS7s on another bike, but they'd need a smaller ring for the SS ratio.

Back