Making a '96 Record into a Compact

Druid

Dirt Disciple
Just been out on a 120k mountain sportif and for the second time in 2 weeks I've had my arse whipped by everyone on compact gear set ups. I have a '96 Campy Record with 53/39 : 12/23. The 8 speed can be turned to a 13/26 handy enough. Not gone too far as I've only sat down after the event but Wiggle have an 8 speed record for 50 quid so at least I know they are out there. I can search for less expensive alternatives. However, according to the catalogs on this site (great feature btw) the '96 Record did not come with anything smaller than a 39 and from what I can see, the chainring may not be compatible with non campy alternatives.

So:

1: Is there a '96 Record front ring smaller than 39?

If not:

2: Is there an alternative that can be used?

Hi,
The bolt circle diameter of your cranks will not allow anything smaller than a 38 (if you can even find one). Use a compact from a more modern groupset, although you may need advice on which chain to use and whether or not you would need a 9/10's block spacced to 8. Not entirely sure, definately do-able, personally I tend to take the suck it and see approach. You may also need a compact front mech, although again you might be inclined.to see how the shifting is first. Other options would be to investigate what the other manufacturers where offering for 8 speed at the time, stronglight etc.

A Campag racing triple or a 2006 Centaur square taper all alloy compact would be my suggestion - both would suit the style of your current components and I think work for you but suggest you tease through chains etc with your lbs

Thanks for the advice. Changing the entire crank and chainring set up had crossed my mind. My own cranks are 170's and I think a little short for my big feet. :D

There is also a cheaper way to go triple. TA do a chainring that has extra tabs to bolt on a granny ring. It used to be for 130mm PCD only, but a 135 is now available.

This saves you buying a new set of cranks.

I think Spa cycles carry the rings.

You could get away with fitting a modern alloy Power-torque compact chainset.....

Similar has been mentioned in my LBS. Seems I may be confusing things for myself though 'cause one problem solved creates a new. The size of the chain on the 8 speed and the spacing it has when used with a compact may cause more chain rub when I go to the inside ring and lower sprockets for example.

I may just try the 13/26 I found on Wiggle and see how it works with the 53/39. It is only a small change but if it helps take the sting out even a little it may be a simple solution.

Back to the drawing board! Ribble had an 8 speed cassette but it is not compatible with the '96 Record hub. Any ideas on a source for a campy or other manufacturer of an 8 speed cassette that will match the 96 Record? Have a 12:23 and trying to move to at least a 26. A 27 or 28 would be even better because it would mean the front ring would not need to be changed at all but a 26 would take the sting out.

EDIT: I have found other sites listing a similar cassette to Ribble's but many state "Fit all 8-speed hubs except 1996 Record Ti". Bloody typical! :roll:

Miche's own site only lists a Primato 8/9 speed that comes in a 12/21 so worse off than my current. However there are online stores listing even 13/28: 13|14|15|17|19|21|24|28. Big jump from the 24 to 28 but I suppose it keeps the ratio close down low. Most of these stores don't have them in stock though accept 1 German site I found: Link. I reckon next stop is a mail to this crowd to see if it is compatible. As far as I recall the splines on the '96 are bigger than the later 9 speed hubs but if I can get a 28 it most certainly rules out the need for a compact front. If this one fits the price for the part looks keen so should offset the cost of shipping from Germany.

Back