What hi fi system you got ?

Awesome! And you've a pace in the shed :LOL:
I had a set of silver mk2's which I loved. I've stayed away from using CDJ'S and trakor but most new music (or shit I want) I can't find on wax anymore. The kids use CDJ'S in my bar and seem fairly easy to use. May take the plunge!
What genre do you play?

Awkward Kid":16v8t5nd said:
Awesome! And you've a pace in the shed :LOL:
I had a set of silver mk2's which I loved. I've stayed away from using CDJ'S and trakor but most new music (or shit I want) I can't find on wax anymore. The kids use CDJ'S in my bar and seem fairly easy to use. May take the plunge!
What genre do you play?

Great minds think a-like ;)

I've had the mk2's since my 16th birthday, knocking on 36 now. I did think about upgrading to the mk5's when they came out but found better things to spend my money on. I thought the same as you when the CDJ's first hit the scene, I remember Graeme Park doing an article on them in MixMag and thinking thats cheating, but as you say, things have moved on quite a bit. I do love vinyl though and when I can I go to places like Vinyl Exchange for a good old hunt through the boxes, I would never sell the decks or any of my vinyl, got a garage full of it, god knows how much I've spent on plastic from 1990 to now!
I don't really have a favourite genre, I like & play everything, house, garage, breakbeat, jungle, rap, and I've also played the drums since I was about 8 or 9 so enjoy rock, heavy metal, jazz......you name it, I probably listen to it.

What stuff are you into or are you the same as me, as long as it good you listen to it? :D

Almost the same. I did a bit of the circuit upt north/midlands late 90's early 2000's. Notts, Sheff & Manc. I'm massively into deep/electro house at the mo (kinky movement, inland knights etc). Back in the day I did warm up sets for the dream team, Mat Jam Lemont etc funky house sh#t :D. Started for the music and to meet girls... Met one and she wasn't to keen on me doing it anymore! Go figure?! These days I've a mix of hip hop, house (lots of old shit, vocal piano goodness), dnb, loads of soul/Motown and my old indie collect from back in the day.
I play in my bar every now again and the kids crowd round looking at the decks trying to figure it out :LOL: HTFR have my wish list and pin number to get some stuff i lost and tracks I don't seem to be able to get on wax. Think a set of CDJ'S are calling sad to say

Awkward Kid":3ehuxgwn said:
Almost the same. I did a bit of the circuit upt north/midlands late 90's early 2000's. Notts, Sheff & Manc. I'm massively into deep/electro house at the mo (kinky movement, inland knights etc). Back in the day I did warm up sets for the dream team, Mat Jam Lemont etc funky house sh#t :D. Started for the music and to meet girls... Met one and she wasn't to keen on me doing it anymore! Go figure?! These days I've a mix of hip hop, house (lots of old shit, vocal piano goodness), dnb, loads of soul/Motown and my old indie collect from back in the day.
I play in my bar every now again and the kids crowd round looking at the decks trying to figure it out :LOL: HTFR have my wish list and pin number to get some stuff i lost and tracks I don't seem to be able to get on wax. Think a set of CDJ'S are calling sad to say

I played in a few clubs around Birmingham, The Steering Wheel, Bakers, Stoodi's, and further afield like the The Sound Factory in Manchester, them were the days, would jump at the chance to spin some choons in a club again though.

I used to love HTFR, remember when Jason opened his first 'shop' as such in an office block in the centre of Brum, it was like walking into a treasure room, especially when DJ's like Pete Tong sent boxes of records to him to sell but since they've moved to the new place they've stopped the browsing of the old vinyl, only the new stuff in the shop now :(

Why don't you just go with Traktor Pro to mix with instead of CDJ's, that way you can still have the control & feel of using vinyl but playing MP3's from the laptop ;)

1210tech":zeu06mmy said:
I played in a few clubs around Birmingham, The Steering Wheel, Bakers, Stoodi's, and further afield like the The Sound Factory in Manchester, them were the days, would jump at the chance to spin some choons in a club again though.

I used to love HTFR, remember when Jason opened his first 'shop' as such in an office block in the centre of Brum, it was like walking into a treasure room, especially when DJ's like Pete Tong sent boxes of records to him to sell but since they've moved to the new place they've stopped the browsing of the old vinyl, only the new stuff in the shop now :(

Why don't you just go with Traktor Pro to mix with instead of CDJ's, that way you can still have the control & feel of using vinyl but playing MP3's from the laptop ;)

Yeah I've looked at that but have you tried carrying a set of decks into a venue (I'm in my 30's as well), my god they are heavy or I'm getting far to old!!! 1200's/1210's where industry standard BID and now it's Pioneer whatever they are call. I've set set a work so kinda make sense to get some for home. There's every chance I've been at one of your nights. I did a few gigs at Golden in Manchester and later on at a club called Ampersands. Had some mad nights at Sundaysensual in brum... Really fun times. You don't see kids these days with flight cases full of records rocking up to a gig. CD wallet and MacBook.

Awkward Kid":mvh5oc3t said:
Yeah I've looked at that but have you tried carrying a set of decks into a venue (I'm in my 30's as well), my god they are heavy or I'm getting far to old!!! 1200's/1210's where industry standard BID and now it's Pioneer whatever they are call. I've set set a work so kinda make sense to get some for home. There's every chance I've been at one of your nights. I did a few gigs at Golden in Manchester and later on at a club called Ampersands. Had some mad nights at Sundaysensual in brum... Really fun times. You don't see kids these days with flight cases full of records rocking up to a gig. CD wallet and MacBook.

Oh yeah, good point, I didn't think about the fact that theres not many venues with 1210's still in the booth, sad really. I still can't believe they've stopped making 1210's too, its like the death of a whole generation.
I didn't play at or really go to Sundissential, went once or twice, one of my mates played there quite a bit, hard house wasn't really my bag.
Flight cases look so much cooler than a laptop bag though don't they! :cool:

Get a room!

I miss my 1210's. Had to sell them and my CDJ's. I managed to hang on to my Yamaha AN1x, found a SY85 at a car boot and am saving for a Raveolution and a Korg EA-1... Tried Ableton but its too computery for a dafty like me.

legrandefromage":2bw287zl said:
Get a room!

I miss my 1210's. Had to sell them and my CDJ's. I managed to hang on to my Yamaha AN1x, found a SY85 at a car boot and am saving for a Raveolution and a Korg EA-1... Tried Ableton but its too computery for a dafty like me.

You're only jealous of the man love! :LOL: :D

I use Ableton as a live mixing tool rather than a production tool, its so powerful I prob only use about 1% of its capability :D

I've got a Roland Groovebox MC303 somewhere, got a ridiculous tax return many moons ago after paying emergency tax for a whole year, so went and blew it on toys which the Roland was one of, never used it to its full capability either. I should get it rigged up to Ableton and have a mess about with it :)

:LOL:
When I get in I'll start a DJ thread, see who else spins em. Man love as standard! I'd hazard a guess that we mostly ride Pace's?! It's a matter of good taste ;) I'd love the time to source some pukka old school hi Fi gear! What's the top end pioneer gear from the early 90's? Would really like that sitting in my lounge.

Awkward Kid":akbqm865 said:
:LOL:
When I get in I'll start a DJ thread, see who else spins em. Man love as standard! I'd hazard a guess that we mostly ride Pace's?! It's a matter of good taste ;) I'd love the time to source some pukka old school hi Fi gear! What's the top end pioneer gear from the early 90's? Would really like that sitting in my lounge.

Good call, we could put up our mixes for d/l too ;)

Back