Schwinn Straight 6- Year??

kallenh

Retro Newbie
Just scored this piece of US history this morning.....the paint is in pretty good shape, with just the stickers chipped/missing in some spots. I know the forks are not standard (think they came with RS Boxxers?) but I've heard the "bass-boat Blue colour, as well as the Hope hubs & rear disc was rare- either a 1997 or 1998 offering.

Can anybody out there offer any Homegrown enlightenment??

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1626.JPG
    1-IMG_1626.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,449
Nice score!
Without doing any google research I'm pretty sure its a 97.
I have a copy of Plush Dh mag and it has a pic of Elke Brutsaert riding the exact same frame albeit with a set of Rock Shox DHO's up front.

If memory serves correct 98 was a straight 6 with red and gold front end and dho's (or possibly a boxxer pro) then in 99 the straight 8 with black and gold front end with boxxer 151.

In the same mag is Joe Lawwill (Merts son) and Jurgen Beneke riding for the Schwinn Toyota team on the same bike with the red and gold 98 colours.
Might add the are sporting the early boxxer pro's with the bolt on brace.

The Zzyzx you have are quite an item too, I'm guessing the original owner would have been semi pro or had links with bullet bros to get the custom made blue decals. Very nice and I wouldn't scrap them as yet as they are period correct and quite a popular choice amoungst privateers and Yeti straight 6 owners bitd due to their price and massive travel (6 inches)
I still have a set of Zzyzx and for an elastomer fork the still run like new, very smooth. If you do choose to replace them you can really only go for a dho IMHO.

Great bike you got yourself and look forward to more pics.

13:
Thanks for the kind comments & info!

Vintage Yeti:
My rear caliper simply sez "HOPE" on the outside face, so I'm pretty sure it's a C2.

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1634.JPG
    1-IMG_1634.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,278
kallenh":1wbsguxv said:
13:
Thanks for the kind comments & info!

Vintage Yeti:
My rear caliper simply sez "HOPE" on the outside face, so I'm pretty sure it's a C2.

C2 caliper No1[ i think thats the pro lever its with,cant quite make it out :? but i can see the adjuster on top of it

No1 caliper has attachments that allow it to fit onto a bracket for front use where no mount exists.

and one of that Mert's awesome rear triangle (or swingarm, if you're a m/c rider like me :)

Attachments

• 1-IMG_1628.JPG
    1-IMG_1628.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 1,218
Lovely bike with lovely fork in good condition!
:cool:

I like those Schwinn/Yeti bikes!

You can get spareparts and discbrake-adapter here:
http://www.atcracing.com/Extreme/terrexoptions.html

I've the same fork in my Mountain Cycle San Andreas, although with Magura HS33 Rimbrakes in the front.

Greets from germany
6ix-pack

Attachments

• medium_IMG_1357.JPG
    medium_IMG_1357.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 1,186
Back