Seeking clarification of comments re prices in eBay section

Rusty Scrubber":1tue515f said:
There has to be an element of common sense in these things, though at the same time we must respect that one mans enterprising auction is another mans predicament, that ought to be left alone without interference.
I'm not sure anybody here did interfere, though? Unless you count his first auction getting yanked for keyword spamming - but then it's (as far as I know) certain that was because of somebody here?
Rusty Scrubber":1tue515f said:
How do we draw a line between what is reasonable, or unreasonable in relation to a sale?

If a guy sells at a price too high, we feel for the buyer, yet what of the sellers needs, especially if the price is too low?

Do we warn the seller in the same manner as we would the buyer?

Commenting on a sale, and so influencing others, is pretty much altering the natural outcome of an event is it not?
I don't think anybody was trying to impose reasonableness or influence others - I think it was simply just reasonably natural HFM? commentary - that happens time and time again for countless other auctions.

And as I said, the difference in this scenario, being it was a member here who'd outed his own auction.

When I say I doubt there was any intent to influence buyers, I think the general take being that most people here, realised the normal value here, maybe the seller would get lucky with some sap on ebay - I saw no general spoiling there.

My own comments were merely to inject some realism - if he really needs to sell, and get the most out of his sale, I believe that won't be achieved by a sky-high opening bid, so I said so.

Neil":x4djw8sw said:
Rusty Scrubber":x4djw8sw said:
There has to be an element of common sense in these things, though at the same time we must respect that one mans enterprising auction is another mans predicament, that ought to be left alone without interference.
I'm not sure anybody here did interfere, though? Unless you count his first auction getting yanked for keyword spamming - but then it's (as far as I know) certain that was because of somebody here?
Rusty Scrubber":x4djw8sw said:
How do we draw a line between what is reasonable, or unreasonable in relation to a sale?

If a guy sells at a price too high, we feel for the buyer, yet what of the sellers needs, especially if the price is too low?

Commenting on a sale, and so influencing others, is pretty much altering the natural outcome of an event is it not?
I don't think anybody was trying to impose reasonableness or influence others - I think it was simply just reasonably natural HFM? commentary - that happens time and time again for countless other auctions.

And as I said, the difference in this scenario, being it was a member here who'd outed his own auction.

When I say I doubt there was any intent to influence buyers, I think the general take being that most people here, realised the normal value here, maybe the seller would get lucky with some sap on ebay - I saw no general spoiling there.

My own comments were merely to inject some realism - if he really needs to sell, and get the most out of his sale, I believe that won't be achieved by a sky-high opening bid, so I said so.

Neil, I think had the OP mentioned a specific case, I wouldn't have bothered to reply.

My imput was based on my thoughts towards folk 'butting in' on other peoples sales, and certainly had no knowledge it was about an actual sale that had taken place.

Kind of strange to open a thread yet not include relevant info. ;)

I think any forum has to be careful what they allow regarding members commenting on legal sales such as Ebay. It can prove very dodgy ground for any admin.

Rusty Scrubber":35ephvo6 said:
Neil":35ephvo6 said:

Neil, I think had the OP mentioned a specific case, I wouldn't have bothered to reply.

My imput was based on my thoughts towards folk 'butting in' on other peoples sales, and certainly had no knowledge it was about an actual sale that had taken place.

Kind of strange to open a thread yet not include relevant info. ;)

I think any forum has to be careful what they allow regarding members commenting on legal sales such as Ebay. It can prove very dodgy ground for any admin.
The sale hasn't taken place, yet.

What happened is that a forum member outed his own auction, and people commented on the price - not altogether unusual, as it was an ebay auction that's outed - and in fairness, plenty of people actually come to the forum for the forum's take on the value of something.

Latest posts

Back