Gazelle Formula - retro/modern mix

ninety

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
Hello

Not sure how will this is going to go down on here, but I think it's looking good, so...

I figured it was time to build a geared bike as I'm finding the SS a bit limiting on longer rides. I picked up a lovely M-Trax frame (now with Phil @tiermat) and gathered various bits together from here, ebay, the garage, all over. When I got to putting it together, I realised it was too big, so I got hunting and came by this Gazelle Formula from @triniriderz.

The rear mech, shifters, calipers and wheels are new, (Campag Xenon, Veloce, Veloce and Khamsin respectively) the bars and stem are NOS (3ttt Ergo Poweut I'm pretty happy with the way it's lookingr and Pro Chrome) and the rest is varying degrees of old (NOS Chorus BB, late 90s/early 00s Record chainset, random Campag front mech, MKS AR3 pedals). I've got a USE post to go in, but the shim's not here yet and my Brooks will be going on top.

It's not been a particularly coherent build - ideally I'd have had some 32h wheels with a standard spoke pattern, but the aim was for a rideable bike for not too much cash and it's looking like it's going to meet its purpose. Obviously once it has a seat.

I'm pretty happy with the way it's looking, but if anyone's got any suggestions or opinions, I'm always keen to hear them...

Thanks
A

Attachments

• WP_000074.jpg
    WP_000074.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 533
Looks quite nice. Be tempted to debadge the wheels, sort out the bar set up (straighten them up and set levers so that the tip lines up withthe flat of the bar). Probably would have gone for a silver rear mech personally. Oh and as nice as a Brooks is I'm not sure how it's gonna look with the modern set up especially sat upon a USE post....

Reads like I just complete slated your build but I do like it and you have a thumbs up from me for fitting the new parts.

You didn't hang about, did you A?

That was just a frame the last time I saw it :)

I agree about the wheels, removing the stickers would make it just so, I think.

As for the Brooks, there is nothing wrong with a Brooks on a modern style bike

DSC_2744.JPG

Tel":3msovwtc said:
Looks quite nice. Be tempted to debadge the wheels, sort out the bar set up (straighten them up and set levers so that the tip lines up withthe flat of the bar). Probably would have gone for a silver rear mech personally. Oh and as nice as a Brooks is I'm not sure how it's gonna look with the modern set up especially sat upon a USE post....

Reads like I just complete slated your build but I do like it and you have a thumbs up from me for fitting the new parts.

Thanks Tel! The bars are more level than they look in the pic, there's a bit of parallax going on with it leaned against the wall. Points taken on mech and Brooks though - the mech was the cheapest I could get and my Brooks is the most comfortable thing I've ever ridden (I've had some problems 'down there' and modern stuff kills me). Maybe a Rolls would strike a happy medium?

tiermat":vqhgu80y said:
You didn't hang about, did you A?

That was just a frame the last time I saw it :)

I agree about the wheels, removing the stickers would make it just so, I think.

As for the Brooks, there is nothing wrong with a Brooks on a modern style bike

DSC_2744.JPG

Thanks Phil - I was trying to beat the rain, but I was thwarted by the seatpost shim. Good to see the Brooks on a modern build, giving me some hope there! I'll think about the wheel stickers too, as I think you and Tel might be right...

Did your mate like the M-Trax?

^perhaps the Brooks will look ok....try it at least and comfort really should come before aesthetics.

Think long and hard about debadging the wheels. Personally I thik it will look better but it may not and once it's done it's done, there's no going back, it will also affect the resale value of the wheels too.

Yes, I'll give it some time - if I end up riding it more than my Argos, I might invest in some wheels with the proper number of spokes and some less in-your-face rims...

Back