Discs brakes to v brake conversion

Get yourself some of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Avid-BB7- ... 415wt_1039
Better than a lot of hydraulic set-ups, a piece of p*ss to set up and maintain and no more bleeding bleeding :D
I've got a set of avid levers you can have to go with them, so let me know if you go down this route mate

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
makster":hfvwwdib said:
Get yourself some of these... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Avid-BB7- ... 415wt_1039
Better than a lot of hydraulic set-ups, a piece of p*ss to set up and maintain and no more bleeding bleeding :D
I've got a set of avid levers you can have to go with them, so let me know if you go down this route mate

Very kind of you sir :D

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I saw those when I was looking for some BB7's.
I decided in the end that they were too cheap....
I don't know if it was the right decision or not!

A friend of mine fitted a pair of those HK BB7s to his Gary Fisher 229.

From what I can see they are not cheap rip-off copies and work brilliantly (I have BB7 roads on my InBred 29er).

velomaniac":30egsuwc said:
In answer to original question before it all went discs are the only real alternative. Yes you can fit rear canti/V brake posts to that frame by use of a BMX derived V-Brake plate:
http://billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bsdnvps
Discs are great before you all think I'm anti discs but it is closer to answering the original question.

Thanks for the link :D , i had a feeling that it would be possible.

velomaniac":34etzapb said:
In answer to original question before it all went discs are the only real alternative. Yes you can fit rear canti/V brake posts to that frame by use of a BMX derived V-Brake plate:
http://billys.co.uk/english/group.php?prod=bsdnvps
Discs are great before you all think I'm anti discs but it is closer to answering the original question.

That's looks like it bolts onto the caliper mount on a BMX frame. The bike in the picture only has a mudguard/rack mount on the wishbone, it's unlikely that this would go all the way through to the other side as the kit intends. You could drill it though I suppose! Also the cable boss is in the way by the looks of it.
I wouldn't be happy using jubilee clips to keep it in position either!

If a single bolted caliper brake on a skinny brake bridge can stop a cyclist roaring down an alpine pass in the TDF why is it a concern to have a v-brake mounted with one bolt and two jubilee clips. Any incident that would break that would also bust a normal frame mounted brake. Plus the brake plate comes from the world of BMX, not famed for their finesse and delicate touches. :roll:

velomaniac":hy2acdwy said:
If a single bolted caliper brake on a skinny brake bridge can stop a cyclist roaring down an alpine pass in the TDF why is it a concern to have a v-brake mounted with one bolt and two jubilee clips. Any incident that would break that would also bust a normal frame mounted brake. Plus the brake plate comes from the world of BMX, not famed for their finesse and delicate touches. :roll:

1) v-brakes are more powerful than calipers, if they wern't then we'd all be using them.
2) The frame still isn't designed for a caliper brake, so it won't fit as intended without modification.
3) using jubilee clips to attach brakes to a bike frame is crazy.
4) BMXer's (from what I've seen) only ride for a few minutes, whereas mountain bikes before to ride for more like hours between stopping and checking if jubilee clips have moved or something!
5) Tearing down a hill at 30mph and having a brake failure / brake jam in spokes is going to be worse than overshooting at the finish of a BMX race!
5) The frame isn't designed for v-brakes (or calipers) so you would be applying forces in an area not designed for them.
:roll:

Back