Ribble 753

Druid

Dirt Disciple
Not a mint rebuild like a lot of the bikes here but I'm not going to apologise for the use. Bought new from Ribble in Jan '96 I raced and trained through rain and hail on this bike for a couple of seasons to late '98. Now it comes out when I want a rest from the pounding my Alloy frame inflicts. It had a Record Groupset back then, you might still see the Record Pedals and Headset in the shots. The Dura Ace on it now works well but the 52/42 : 12/23 ratio is not one for the hills even for a decent climber. There's some paint chips on the rear stay where the chain has caught it, and on the top tube the paint (not the frame) has a blister. But this bike can still ride with the best. Smooth is not the word and surprisingly large amounts of pedal power go right to the back wheel, especially in a striahgt line. It soaks up potholes let alone road rumble. My other bike is a giant 6061 T and the difference in comfort is unbelievable. You could sit on this for hours and still feel fresh.

Cheers Rio! Yep, it's nice to ride a bike that can you know will go exactly where you point it, keeps your arse cosy for the day, and still gets riders on carbon framed bikes to stop and wonder. :D As I said, it's no bike of the month, but what makes it special for me is that this thing has churned out thousands of miles and still keeps going...in style. :cool:

Nice bike - and like I said somewhere else, a 38 tooth inner ring will fit to help with the lower gearing.

Cheers Ned! I don't mind the gearing on this as I use my Giant for the hilly stuff but the 38 would make it much more versatile. My real problem is the Giant's 39/23. I thought I had a 13:26 cassette sourced for the 8 speed '96 Record hub but it turns out it is an 8 speed cassette to fit the later 9/10 speed hub design.Link to thread

Back