1989 Raleigh Appalachian

WOW they look awesome built up after just winning a frame on ebay locally. Made the classic mistake of not reading the auction text properly and thought this is a Racing bike lol

Still fancy restoring it to its glory and your pictures will help me track down some original parts.

RaleighAppalachianCycleRecyle.jpg

Silver Fox Baz":2m6iq29n said:
WOW they look awesome built up after just winning a frame on ebay locally. Made the classic mistake of not reading the auction text properly and thought this is a Racing bike lol

Still fancy restoring it to its glory and your pictures will help me track down some original parts.

Very similar to a frameset I've got:-
main.php

And yes, it is something of a gate.

Silver Fox Baz":1me0rstc said:

The 1989 catalogue is in the archive with a tantalizing glimpse of the rear triangle as a page is missing, but the specification is there.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 9.pdf.html

Piecing the puzzle together with Bikemiester there was an update in '89 mid season and that catalogue is an early '89 as the Chinook and Ozark were replaced with the Cajun and Thunderroad (I also think the Geometry was sharpened and T-Bone type stems added across the range) asI had the later Catalogue as well.
I still hanker after the lightweight team replica which was a repainted '89 Thunderroad.

Carl.

Re:

i bought the above raleigh Appalachian frame and this is what i did with it

Attachments

• photo (10).PNG
    photo (10).PNG
    166.2 KB · Views: 507
  • photo 2 (2).PNG
    photo 2 (2).PNG
    84.2 KB · Views: 507
  • photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    99.2 KB · Views: 508
  • photo 1 (2).PNG
    photo 1 (2).PNG
    159.7 KB · Views: 508
  • photo 3 (2).PNG
    photo 3 (2).PNG
    154.2 KB · Views: 508
  • photo 2 (4).PNG
    photo 2 (4).PNG
    183.6 KB · Views: 508
  • photo 2 (5).PNG
    photo 2 (5).PNG
    161.9 KB · Views: 507
  • photo (9).PNG
    photo (9).PNG
    188.8 KB · Views: 507
I would enjoy some more info on this, could you elaborate on how you painted the frame and any other info on the build? You have done an excellent job on this one :)

Re:

well think it took me a year and a half to complete and the frame is powder coated then lacquered over, if you dont lacquer over, the plastic coating goes dull and it looks plastic rather than painted. i bought the parts from ebay sometimes by just buying a bike and taking the wheels from it and reselling the bike. the colour choice is inspired by the early raleigh techium. all the parts are from late 80s apart from the mechs, and i decided not to refinish as original as i only had the frame and the only two iv seen refinished original came with most of there original parts so i decided to go custom while trying to keep in toe with its era. i think the finish bike has turned out well, and is a dream to ride. im a big fan of lugged bikes

Attachments

• photo (8).PNG
    photo (8).PNG
    125.4 KB · Views: 495
  • photo 2 (3).PNG
    photo 2 (3).PNG
    156 KB · Views: 495
  • photo 2 (4).PNG
    photo 2 (4).PNG
    183.6 KB · Views: 495
  • photo 4 (1).PNG
    photo 4 (1).PNG
    152 KB · Views: 494
  • photo 4 (2).PNG
    photo 4 (2).PNG
    155.5 KB · Views: 494
  • photo 3 (1).PNG
    photo 3 (1).PNG
    109.3 KB · Views: 494
Re: Re:

wontchuckanut":20d5vhr9 said:
well think it took me a year and a half to complete and the frame is powder coated then lacquered over, if you dont lacquer over, the plastic coating goes dull and it looks plastic rather than painted. i bought the parts from ebay sometimes by just buying a bike and taking the wheels from it and reselling the bike. the colour choice is inspired by the early raleigh techium. all the parts are from late 80s and the stem is a nos raleigh that i bought that was still in the bag, it was black i had it blasted and coated white. the mechs are 1990. i decided not to refinish as original as i only had the frame and the only two iv seen refinished original came with most of there original parts so i decided to go custom while trying to keep in toe with its era. i think the finish bike has turned out well, and is a dream to ride. im a big fan of lugged bikes

That's great. really personal. Just one thing though, surely it deserves better than a 400LX rear mech? Needs a Deore IMO.

Carl.

Back