Merlin un-boxing- close ups (stay calm,it's only a bike)

Re: sweet bike...

Benzosol":2hl9b4a4 said:
Wondering how much it weighs? This is beautiful. I have a old Fisher Promethius Titanium and can't imagine a better bike till seeing this.

Congrats...

That Benzosol is my unicorn as they say. Let me know if you ever decide its time to part with your Promethus...in the meantime feel free to share some pictures.

Yes that is the guy.
I agree with a lot of the comments on there about then age of the bike and the components.
Maybe the experts on here can shed some light on the age subject.
9 speed XTR
Crossmax wheels.
I know the fork is approx. 2001
Frame has 1-1/8 steerer but no disk mount #8869
There was some speculation the steerer had been changed at Merlin but that smacks of B.S. to me.
If this bike is later than 1997(litespeed era I think) it will change everything.
I will most likely fit all new components,have a disk mount fitted and ride the hell out of it.

Ok I think I have a definitive history.

Frame number is not as previously published and I have checked the actual number.(the tag on the bike was incorrect)
The frame is definitely a 1994 but with a newer head tube fitted.(almost definitely done by Merlin).
This was confirmed by a very experienced mechanic who looked at the bike today.
The bike was built up in 2000 and are all parts are correct for that time.
The bike was priced up at $4999.99 U.S. and stored/displayed at Bicycle Pedaler in Wichita,U.S.A.
In early 2012 a road rider saw the bike and bought it with the intention of keeping it on a display stand in his basement.
This owner changed his mind and listed the bike on Ebay.
This is where is come in.
I bought the bike and imported it to N.Z.in early July 2012.

The bike is currently in for a full service and will be used and cherished by me for the foreseeable future.

I just love it.

:D :D :D

Merlin

Lovely frame, but I always dislike Vee brakes on bike's built for Canti's, which would look more period correct and operate just as well.
The rear hangers always look awful just laid there redundant! :cry: Will you eventually build it with period parts? (it'll be much lighter too)

I agree it would be awesome to build the bike period correct but I don't have the time to do it.
Like I said in an earlier post I wasn't looking for a retro bike,just a Merlin.
If someone had a 2000 frame they wanted to make period correct these parts would be a boon!

Back