On One Carbon 456

IWish

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well, here goes. I sold the Ridge and other stuff to afford the frame and I bought one..

It's a 18" and I love it. It looks amazing and is SO light. But it is my first venture into Carbon. I went to get it Friday. In the pouring rain. Not fun..

But it's worth it. I've been totally stunned by how it looks and feels. Plus the looks of the build plans mean it's going to be quite a XC racey feel too it even with the longer travel fork. (Pike 140-95 U Turn.)

So far I have had to go back to On One one time with it. Well wanted too. I asked for the drop out to be swapped as they gave me one with a seatstay brake mount position and I wanted a chainstay one. Looks neater.

So far I've got everything for it sorted besides brakes and a definite fork. Though both are lined up. I'm using a 1x9 setup until I can find a 44T chainring for a 2x9 setup.

It's specced like this:

Frame: On One Carbon 456 18"
Fork: Going to be RockShox Pike U Turn
Brakes: Cable calipers for now until I get a hold of prototypes a friend is having built
Chainset: RF NoRthshore with a 34T RF ring
Wheels: Hope Bulb with Sun MTX and DT spokes with Holy Roller tyres going on in the future
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 410mm (it's possibly too long and a cable guide rivet doesn't let me drop it anymore so I may cut it or swap for a shorter one)
Headset: Hope Pick N Mix

It's only got the seatpost, BB, cranks, chain, RD and wheel fitted right now as I wanted to see roughly it's stance and look with my part choices. My rear wheel feels like it weighs more than the frame!

Pics here. (Not very good ones)

IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0230.jpg

IMAG0231.jpg

IMAG0232.jpg

IMAG0234.jpg

IMAG0235.jpg

That's a 2.4 tyre...

Any opinions on the frame/build are welcomed.

Looks nice mate.

What forks are you considering?

I've got a Race Face Team chainring that is currently surplus to requirements (44 teeth, 4 bolt). Pm me or look at my clear out thread. ;)

Forks are going too be Rockshox Pike mate. Unless I find a brilliant deal on something else.

Thanks for the offer of the chainring but I'm after 5 arm Compact :)

IWish":xvcjyyex said:
Forks are going too be Rockshox Pike mate. Unless I find a brilliant deal on something else.

Thanks for the offer of the chainring but I'm after 5 arm Compact :)

Pikes would work on that - what colour? Are you going for the full on stealth look with some black ones?

No worries - should have realised! Doh. :oops:

Pikes, the only ones I've found in budget are White.. :( I had found a Black set but the guy backed out. So White it is, I'll ride White until I find good price Black ones or re-spray them Black.

But I am going stealth as much as possible.

Looks great. Part of me wishes I had gone with a C456.

Before you finish building I can recommend getting some of this:

http://www.paragontapes.co.uk/gallery/m ... ction-tape

Presuming yours is a matte finish - which it looks like - the stuff above is neigh on impossible to see one on. Hard wearing too.

Given the ability to build a fairly light bike I would consider Rebas over the pikes. With the very short HT pretty much all second hand forks will fit it and Rebas do come up quite often here and on STW. Less likely to have been thrashed too.

I went with the pike as the travel is more than the Reba. Which is 120?

I have found some tape I was suggested to use for the frame protection by the guys at on one.

I'll put the name on here when I find the paper with it on.

I went with the pike as the travel is more than the Reba. Which is 120?

I have found some tape I was suggested to use for the frame protection by the guys at on one.

I'll put the name on here when I find the paper with it on.

Back