Seeking clarification of comments re prices in eBay section

I think that anything posted in the For Sale sections are quite right to be subjected to the forum rules. I've seen a few threads which have been spoilt by the odd snide comment regarding the pricing.

The eBay sections are fair game (within reason) though as far as I see it..?

Commenting on a sale that is not ones personal transaction is pretty rude in my book.

Maybe we should plull all of the flies out of the spiders webs too as we tread our paths of interference? ;)

The value of anything is a personal one. Who are we to question the valuations of others, unless invited to do so?

Rusty Scrubber":2xrxhecz said:
Commenting on a sale that is not ones personal transaction is pretty rude in my book.

Maybe we should plull all of the flies out of the spiders webs too as we tread our paths of interference? ;)

The value of anything is a personal one. Who are we to question the valuations of others, unless invited to do so?
In fairness to the auction that spawned all this, the seller did out his own auction in a discussion forum. You take the rough with the smooth when you do that. And, as others have said, there's plenty of discussions of ebay pricing of auctions. In my opinion, this example has become a bit sensitive for two reasons: 1) the seller is a member here 2) the starting bid seems so unrealistic to many. Now nobody is trying to suggest that people don't have a right to advertise for whatever price they see fit - I just think it's likely expecting too much that people won't pass comment, when so many ebay auctions are already discussed, and if you court discussion by outing the auction yourself.

Rusty Scrubber":15xjo3t1 said:

Probably, up to a point. However like many things in life things are often not black and white.

Rusty Scrubber":15xjo3t1 said:

Deep. So deep I've no idea what you're on about.

IMHO the e-bay section is a sort of "discussion" forum rather than a for sale section as such...........and people are posting for information / comments / etc.

If you want to sell something on RB then put it in the for sale section...if you want an auction with all that entails then stick it on e-bay. There is a section on e-bay to ask questions and make comments as well.

Shaun

Neil":70jc1veb said:
Rusty Scrubber":70jc1veb said:

In fairness to the auction that spawned all this, the seller did out his own auction in a discussion forum. You take the rough with the smooth when you do that. And, as others have said, there's plenty of discussions of ebay pricing of auctions. In my opinion, this example has become a bit sensitive for two reasons: 1) the seller is a member here 2) the starting bid seems so unrealistic to many. Now nobody is trying to suggest that people don't have a right to advertise for whatever price they see fit - I just think it's likely expecting too much that people won't pass comment, when so many ebay auctions are already discussed, and if you court discussion by outing the auction yourself.

If it was about a particular listing, then it doesn't help that it wasn't mentioned in the original post, though not sure it would change my own opinion (that's all it is) on whether it's rude to comment or not.

There has to be an element of common sense in these things, though at the same time we must respect that one mans enterprising auction is another mans predicament, that ought to be left alone without interference.

* That was what I meant by the web and the fly.#

By interfering, the fly lives on, but the spider dies. Should it not be for the spider to spin it's web and for the fly to look out for itself?

How do we draw a line between what is reasonable, or unreasonable in relation to a sale?

If a guy sells at a price too high, we feel for the buyer, yet what of the sellers needs, especially if the price is too low?

Do we warn the seller in the same manner as we would the buyer?

Commenting on a sale, and so influencing others, is pretty much altering the natural outcome of an event is it not?

RobMac":3cqaf3m3 said:
My understanding was that we were requested NOT to make comments on ANY For Sale items 'Period' :?
Whether member non-member or Ebay but I may be wrong :shock:

I thought this was the way it was supposed to be too :?

I have talked to a chap in a project and tried to steer him onto the site to rebuild his retro beauty but he declined as he found the prices for some retro gear too much for his budget.

Neil":3cqaf3m3 said:
the seller did out his own auction in a discussion forum.
Did he :? i thought it was in ebay and market watch which isnt a discussion forum unless you think every section is a discussion forum and not just retro chat,1998 chat and off topic.

Rusty Scrubber":3jrpqd5u said:
Do we warn the seller in the same manner as we would the buyer?

has happened before with listings.

It is the sellers prerogative toi ask whatever they want. It is a free country and we cna decide what we want to pay for something. There forum rules on hrrere for foru sales are pretty free and easygoing - especially compared to some forums i have used.

In the ebay section it is not unheard of for price to be discussed. TBH it's not a sale on here so i cant see the point in not discussing it if an item should merit it If someone was selling 50 pairs of NOS onza porcs in white at £10 posted it would generate some discussion!

Adding more rules vis a v price discussion on the ebay watch section would be excessive (imho) and OTT (as well as generating a mass of work form the mods and John).

dyna-ti":2kdnzsvq said:
Neil":2kdnzsvq said:
the seller did out his own auction in a discussion forum.
Did he :? i thought it was in ebay and market watch which isnt a discussion forum unless you think every section is a discussion forum and not just retro chat,1998 chat and off topic.
Well in fairness - there's plenty of discussion in the ebay forum from time to time - perhaps not every auction - but there's plenty of auctions that are.

If we're now saying that shouldn't be the case - then fair enough - I'll abide by the rules - but I'm not sure that's the consensus - and if so, it will impinge a fair degree of discussions that would have normally occurred.

Hell, it wouldn't have taken that much for this auction to appear in the ebay madness thread.

Back