Orbit America

Couldn't wait to show it off! The more I look at it, the more I love the paint.

Thanks for leaving the seatpost bolt in: most people would have had that out.

I also picked up a couple of nice bottles of beer on the way home, so will sit here tonight getting misty-eyed, dreaming of the miles to come...

So is this a wanted ad? :)

Personally despite the name sake of the Modolo's I think they would suit a more classic build. Stick with the Campag Record imo.

It is a wanted ad, as in "I wanted someone to reassure me that the Ergos were the way to go" (thanks Tel).

Having recently graduated to dual pivot callipers and aero levers I'm reluctant to go back; however, bearing in mind the name you can see why I was torn.

I'm quite keen to try out a brifter set-up: from observing people I ride with I'm not wholly convinced; DTS appear to have the advantage in many situations...

I had an Orbit America, in the early 90's, bought it from the (in)famous 'Two Wheels Good' in Leeds
(7-speed 105)

It was finished in that flourescant yellow/pink, but I later had it resprayed 'petrol blue/pink'

As I used to commute on it in summer, through the centre of Leeds @ 18:00, I made sure I was seen!!!!!! :shock: :shock:

(those were 'Troll' rock-climbing tights)

Looking at the position of that Rolls in the 'bunker' shot, my position has changed big-style since then (now I have the saddles as far back as they'll go)

Attachments

• Cycling. 1990s. 531 Pink.jpg
    Cycling. 1990s. 531 Pink.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 1,468
  • Cycling. 1990s. Day-Glow Commuting. 1993.jpg
    Cycling. 1990s. Day-Glow Commuting. 1993.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 1,468
WOW! Cutting quite a dash there Rich! Thanks for posting those.

I rather like the original paint job and judging by mine, I'd say they had quite a flair for paint.

Perhaps you can answer a couple of questions for me:
- what is the pip behind the head tube for? It has been suggested that it was either for a pump or a race number.
- what are the holes in the rear drop outs for? Mudguards seem the obvious answer, but there are no braze-ons on the forks and I've only seen fittings on the drop-out, rather than drilled into it.
- finally, as you can read in this thread, I've been a bit confused over whether it's 531c or not: any comment?

Many thanks.

PS Still got the Trolls?

ScillySuffolk":3mreow2o said:
WOW! Cutting quite a dash there Rich! Thanks for posting those.
PS Still got the Trolls?

Mine was 531C from what I can remember (sold it in about '96)

'Pip' was indeed for a pump

Trolls???, possibly hiding in a bag/suitcase somewhere that's not been opened through house-moves (had some 'Zebra' strip ones too!!)

As for the colour scheme of yours, it's very similar to Roger Hammonds World title winning Orbit (back in 1992)

The holes in the rear dropouts are just lightnening I think. If you look at rear dropouts they are often cutout the holes are just a variation of that.

RichT - could be an optical illusion but the seat tube on yours looks very steep!

So how's the build coming along then?

Back