Early Saracen Lovers Anonymous......

Lovely! Will try that & see what I can do.. They're in pretty good nick but one 'X' is missing & I don't want to do further damage having just got the frame.. :eek:

Whereabouts in Devon are you? Used to live in East Devon myself and used to bomb my first Hardtrax round Shute woods, Trinity Hill & that area..

In Honiton mate. Never actually been to Shute woods, mainly stick to Woodbury and East Hill as closer. Is Shute worth the visit?

Well, used to be! Bearing in mind I'm going back 14/15 years here!
Approaching from the Axminster side we used to have to crawl up this real b*tch of a gravel track, full of compacted pebbles, like riding up a cobbled street, then the woods had some nice sections through them - no trails just find your way rounds the treestumps(!) and then head out & at the top there was some pretty cool singletrack. Not so nice to climb up, but really fun on the descent back into the woods!! :twisted:

Main problems were hidden treestumps, pine needles everywhere and the usual twigs in the wheels/derailleurs - I'd guess at this time of year that would be the worst part..

Can add my 20" 89 Trekker Comp to the mix now it's up and running. Not hell-bent on originality and prefer the two-tone component look. 95% of the parts are the factory items though :)

trekkerwoods.jpg

trekkerrearu.jpg

Yes, very nice!!

Thats what I am building next, and I will be getting some decals done for it, let me know if you want a set.

I love it when I see this thread has a new post but it is bad for my bank balance as it makes me want to go straight out and buy another saracen! Meant to be thinning the herd!

Lovely bike lrh.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting new decals for the Hardtrax, or sticking with the original weather-worn ones.. There's a missing 'x' on the seattube, but apart from that they are all intact, so I'm tempted to just helicopter tape over them & keep the well-worn look..

Weighed the frame the other day & came up at a touch over 3.5Kg.. :shock: I had forgotten how heavy old steelies were! :LOL:

My Hardtrax will be an absolute paragon of distaste..:LOL: Building it up as my ideal retro dream-bike with a myriad of awesome parts, totally unsuitable for the frame but I don't care, 'cos it's all about fun!!

I have got therefore an entire bike's worth of OEM low-end Saracen/Shimano kit, all in good nick and eminently usable, so if anyone needs anything for a build or a spare give me a shout!
(Check out the 1997 catalogue for the parts listing! http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/Manufacturer+Archive/Saracen/Catalogues/Saracen_1997.pdf.html)

Back