WET OIL DRY OIL im confused

lincolnwho

Dirt Disciple
Ok guys what does my retro racer need, heard so many different reasons and ideas from bike shops and everywhere

What do I put on them or anyone advise the benefits of each?

From what I can see Dry is for when its dry , wet is for when its wet or vice versa ????

HELP PLEASE?

Chain oils. The adage goes do not discuss religion, politics or chain lubrication at the dinner table.

You are right, Dry lubrications tend to be for those conditions where it is dry, and wet for wet. The simple reason for this is the dry lubrications do not tend to let dust/grit stick to the substance so you don't end up with a grinding paste for your chain. They also tend to penetrate very well.The downside is these are usually water soluble and/or wash out very quickly. Wet lubrications very, from clingy, sticky to, effectively, oil. In those cases grit and muck tends to stick to these, however not as easily washed out by water.

If I lived somewhere that is consistently dry I would probably use a dy lube. However, here in the UK?

I use Morgan blue. I have used a fair few, including the wax based ones which are interesting, and very, very quiet. But I have now accepted that I prefer the clinging qualities of MB and just use a park chain cleaner and reapplication every time I think the chain needs it.

ok things are clearing up a little for me , or at leats I thought what morgan product do you use?

Are they internet only ?

Any one else got any other ideas/ recommends on products in the UK

You see???

Divisive! :)

What I should have said was, if your chain allows it, use a sram powerlink and remove the chain from the bike, thoroughly degrease and clean, finishing off with just water. Allow to dry thoroughly THEN fit and reapply.

tintin40":11hm2siw said:
Never oil my chain

Do you ever ride your bike? Oh no, I know you just replace it....

In fairness if your a fair weather rider you chain does not require oiling very often at all.

Back