The *NOT BORING!* Hi-Fi faff chat and sales

Just won these on the bay - Albarry M408 Monoblock Power Amplifiers

:D

Cool!

Just got this lot from the tip...

today_at_the_tip_445.jpg

Christ! What kind of people use your tips?! :shock:

Tintin, if your source is CD, just feed the O/P of your CD player into the amps via a volume pot in a box. No pre-amp and unnecessary circuitry. Be a bit careful though cos those Albarry's have a history of HF instability.

apache":2w66r6x1 said:
Christ! What kind of people use your tips?! :shock:

Tintin, if your source is CD, just feed the O/P of your CD player into the amps via a volume pot in a box. No pre-amp and unnecessary circuitry. Be a bit careful though cos those Albarry's have a history of HF instability.

Now your talking tech. What does that mean in simple talk please :oops:

Basically, the level from your CD player is plenty to drive your amps without a pre-amp. In fact, generally the only source that wont be fine is a record deck.

In the case of line level sources (CD, tape, tuner etc) a pre-amp just adds extra complexity for no good reason - unless you really need tone controls etc.

All you need is a volume control (a potentiometer) and some switches - if you need to use more than one source.

apache":1r7u8z3i said:
Basically, the level from your CD player is plenty to drive your amps without a pre-amp. In fact, generally the only source that wont be fine is a record deck.

In the case of line level sources (CD, tape, tuner etc) a pre-amp just adds extra complexity for no good reason - unless you really need tone controls etc.

All you need is a volume control (a potentiometer) and some switches - if you need to use more than one source.

I understood half of what you wrote. But if you have seen my handy work on bikes. Best buy a pre-amp or a CD player with the imputs like a Meridian

If you have a headphone socket on your CD player, you can use a lead to the inputs of your Albarry's and use the CD player as the volume control

3.5mm_jack_phono.jpg

You would have to switch the CD on first, then the amps to reduce any loud pops and bangs potentially damaging your speakers.

A Pre-amplifier would be better. A Pre-amp is simply the input and volume control part of an 'integrated amplifier', theres no connections for speakers - your Albarry's would then be the amplifier part with the speaker connections.

CD-Albarrys-Speakers

or

CD-Pre-Amplifier-Abarry's-Speakers.

:D all clear now. I have a headphone socket but no volume control ! on the cd.

This gives me a good reason to buy more hifi. New pre-amps are expensive? Looking at £700+?

Many Thanks

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back