96 Zaskar LE - my first proper build - FINISHED pg2!!!!!!!

i_chappers

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hello all,

Been around on these Forums for a while but haven't really said all that much.

Decided it might be good to start of thread to keep a record of my first proper build. I got into the retro lark about 6 months back and bought a P7 which has kept me happy but now I fancy a change.

So. Always dreamed of a Zaskar when I was a young lad, so am going to have a crack at one. I've had a look at some of the threads on here and picked up some great inspiration

Picked up the start of the project yesterday from a great guy on here, Jason. He's done a great job of finding some original parts, but I'd like to take it a stage further.

I'm planning a XTR M95x build, with bling blue X Lite stuff. Forks are Rock Shox Judy SL in really nice condition. I have most of the other parts, just waiting on a few more things.

First step was to strip the frame down

Zaskar%20Frame.JPG

Frame is in great condition, it weighted in at 1950g on the kitchen scales this morning.

Next job is to strip off the decals as it's been re stickered at some point. They in great shape, but they're just not quite right. New ones are on the way from Gil_m

Then it'll be a rainy afternoon spent with this lot

Autosol.JPG

cleaning off the glue residue then shining her up nicely

The headset is fairly old fashioned so it's likely to get replaced. Looking for either a blue or silver Chris King, if anyone has one for sale let me know!

Hope the thread is of interest to someone, I'll try to provide regular updates for prosperity if nothing else!

By for now!

Sounds like an interesting build!

I recently sold a polished GT Tempest frame, which I stripped back. The polishing can be quite laborious but they look lovely when they are gleaming. I get the impression you won't be cutting corners with this one, and will look forward to watching the progress...

Great base for a good project.

Shining it up's not too laborious, but maintaining it can be a pain. Might be worth investing in a clear polish/wax, to apply after you've shined it, as it'll help prolong the finish and slow down any tarnishing, especially if it's going to be a rider..

GT-Steve":2j8sior2 said:
Might be worth investing in a clear polish/wax..

Thanks for the suggestion, it will definately be a rider. Daily with a bit of luck (If you're going to ride to work, ride to work in style, eh?)

Any recommendations for the polish/wax?

To be fair - I've never found it that much of a problem; I just give mine a quick polish now and then when I want to preen it. After a while you don't really worry that much about the mirror finish (presuming you're riding it). :)

Made some really pleasing progress over the weekend. A good couple of hours removing the decals and 2 goings over with Autosol have got the frame really gleaming. It was good before, but it's just stunning now. Couple of pics of the bear frame:
frame.jpg

and
framecloseup.jpg

Next step was to clean up the M952 chainset. Bought off here in fairly good condition with a matching 952 bottom bracket. Came to me looking like this:

chainset.jpg

But after a full strip down, clean up and repacement of bolts for blue, it's now looking lots better for this build.

chainsetblue.jpg

Lastly for this weekend, I fitted the rear M950 V Brakes, M952 rear mech, M952 bottom bracket and the M952 chainset.

allparts.jpg

and a bit closer for the Vs

vbrakes.jpg

Few more parts to arrive shortly including a new blue Chris King, some really nice NOS X Lite bars (from TC!) and an M952 bottom pull front mech from FleaseBay

Question on Grips:

I have either NOS Porcipaws in black or have seen some NOS Tomac grips in clear. Anyone have an opinion either way???

Apologies if this post i a little picture heavy!

Cheers, Ian

Tazio":3mbfzrrf said:
Looking great. Got to be the Porcipaws for me, loved them back in the day.

+1 to that. Still do, and have purple ones fitted to my Zaskar. :)

Lovely bike, btw - coming along gloriously.

Back