What hi fi system you got ?

I had some of that Quad stuff once and some ESL63 electrostatics....sold them all for hardly nothing... Think my amp was a 405 mark 2 and 34 pre ?......fantastic tuner :D

greenstiles":178pczdp said:
I had all that Quad stuff once and some ELS 63 electristatics....sold them all for hardly nothing... Think my amp was a 405 mark 2......fantastic tuner :D

Tut tut. They sell for good money now.

~ CLANG!!!! ~

I built the prototype for the current range of ESL and a 'baby' two panel that I was going to use as a centre channel. I also built a monster 6 or 8 panel (I forget which).

I sold them all in about 95/96....i got the lot for....wait for it..................................................................£150 from a junk shop all working......the story was at the junk shop an ex Quad retired chap either died or wife had a clear out and they took the lot thinking it was total toot.........all dusty an all, i cleaned it all up, but the amp didn't seem very powerful, had 2 power settings ??? by moving somethings inside ?
Wow you worked on later models of ESL ?

greenstiles":315vetzw said:
I sold them all in about 95/96....i got the lot for....wait for it..................................................................£150 from a junk shop all working......the story was at the junk shop an ex Quad retired chap either died or wife had a clear out and they took the lot thinking it was total toot.........all dusty an all, i cleaned it all up, but the amp didn't seem very powerful, had 2 power settings ??? by moving somethings inside ?
Wow you worked on later models of ESL ?

Sounds like it was broken or something was plugged in wrong - the 405 is around 100w per channel.

The current ESLs are made in China but I worked on the last of the UK built series. Chinese made Quad products have had 'issues' - of which I'll say no more except that they were highly embarrassing.

I steer clear of current Audiolab, QUAD and Arcam. Some are terrible, some are rebadged Rotel and some are rehashes of old models. Its up to you guess what is what.

yes i tried the 2 settings on the amp but it seemed to make no real difference to the power, i sold the lot not at a great profit and bought newer stuff at the time as i was, and still am no electronics fiddler.

Wish i'd kept the tuner, great with voices and metal instruments :D

ferrus":20f3jht2 said:
cyfa2809":20f3jht2 said:

Unbelievable! Can't help thinking it smells of urine though!

:LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though, I can understand it's important but doesn't this start to get silly? Ultimately nothing beats live music in right environment, so I say spend the cash on going out of the house.

As a side note, the most mind blowing audio experience ever I had was here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Eustache,_Paris) on a concert day.

2x technics 1210 Mk5's, Technics battle mixer (ipod lead :) ) Pioneer amp running a mix of Mission and Whalfdale speakers.
Tempted by some CDJ's or a Mac with Trackor? Prefer diamond on wax though :D

Awkward Kid":1t8kh9qu said:
2x technics 1210 Mk5's, Technics battle mixer (ipod lead :) ) Pioneer amp running a mix of Mission and Whalfdale speakers.
Tempted by some CDJ's or a Mac with Trackor? Prefer diamond on wax though :D

nice set up :cool: here's a few old pics of mine from about 2004 ;)

DSC00092.jpg
DSC00094.jpg

2 x Technics 1210 MKII's with Stanton Trackmaster II's, 2 x Pioneer CDJ1000MKII's, Pionneer DJM800 mixer, Technics SJ-MD150 mini-disc recorder, Pioneer PDR609 CD Recorder, Technics SU300 amp, Jamo speakers.

The pics shows a DJM600 mixer that has been replaced by the DJM800 and my old G4 Powerbook but thats long gone after I dropped it, but the nice insurance people replaced it with a 15" MacBook Pro that I run Traktor & Ableton on :cool:

Back