My Old Shorter?? Tidy Up

starockets

Retro Newbie
I have just completed a cheap tidy up of an old bike given to me by a friend of mine. Apparently it is a Shorter made frameset but even after supplying the shop with the serial number stamped on the bottom nobody can definitely confirm this.

Originally I was going to change it into a fixed but I had a re-think and decided to tidy it up on as small a budget as I could. Unfortunately the hubs and wheels were beyond repair at a low cost, also the stem, saddle, seatpost (had to cut it out) and brake calipers.

Another friend of mine had had some old Shimano BMX pedals powder coated in a candy apple / anodised looking red which at £70 for my frame and forks seemed like a bargain compared with the more expensive enamellers out there.

Hopefully you guys will like the before and after photos below, like I said earlier it is a tidy up, not a restoration or even a refurbishment just a bit of spit and polish.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

p.s. Just noticed the chain seems to be a couple of links short, whoops.

Thats lovely

Thats some spit and polish :shock:
It looks great and that paint looks brilliant!
I hope it rides as well as it looks as that would make it very close to perfect.
You can always come to mine and do some tidying anytime ;)
Thanks for sharing
Jamie

Tel":67zb862u said:
Wow! Thats powder coat??? Looks superb. Whats the name of the powder coaters?

Not sure of the powder coater, as far as I know it is a small shop near Lotus Cars up Norwich way. My mate was working there and took the frame up and got it done for me.

starockets":7bgpkc7i said:
Another friend of mine had had some old Shimano BMX pedals powder coated in a candy apple / anodised looking red which at £70 for my frame and forks seemed like a bargain compared with the more expensive enamellers out there.

They've done a cracking job; powdercoating may be frowned upon by some, but the frame looks superb !.

starockets":7bgpkc7i said:
Hopefully you guys will like the before and after photos below, like I said earlier it is a tidy up, not a restoration or even a refurbishment just a bit of spit and polish.

How did you get the cranks & chainrings so sparklingly clean ?

The bike is a credit to you; of course n + 1 applies - I look forward to seeing your next effort. :D

It's no good I gotta say it.....your brake levers are mounted too high! General rule of thumb is the tip of the brake lever lines up with the horizontal line of the bar.

Bicycle-Brake-Levers-06.JPG

lastpubrunner":1an1dv6u said:
They've done a cracking job; powdercoating may be frowned upon by some, but the frame looks superb !.

I think powder coating is great. for that cost I can get it coated a different colour in a couple of years and it won't dent my pocket too much. I have to admit that the coating I have on this bike is very fragile, it seems to be a base white with a chrome coat followed by a red laquer. Once the red starts going it peels off so easy.

lastpubrunner":1an1dv6u said:
How did you get the cranks & chainrings so sparklingly clean ?

The cranks, headset, front mech & stem were all rubbed down using 5 different grades of paper (600 to 2000 grit) and polished up on a buffer wheel with Autosol.

Tel":2fe8sqvs said:
It's no good I gotta say it.....your brake levers are mounted too high! General rule of thumb is the tip of the brake lever lines up with the horizontal line of the bar.

I know I know :oops: I have a problem getting over on these as they so I had to compromise a bit, it wouldn't get ridden to the pub otherwise.

Back