Asked To Restore This - Sunn

designer1

Old School Hero
Ive been asked to restore this old Sunn road bike as a present back to the owner for his 60th - he's unaware so should be a great surprise!

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Any tips on restoring it or knowledge as to what it is exactly, would be greatfully received. Im told its 40+years old?

Many thanks

Have a look in the BMX forum, there was an excellent thread on chrome restoration in there. But be warned, from my memory of reading it, to get the results takes a lot of hard work!

Slightly amused that you've been chosen to restore it and then run off to the interweb to ask how?!? It sounds like you got volunteered by some one. :LOL:

It's a circa mid-1970s Sun Worksop (not Sunn!) 5 speed * with cottered cranks and 27 x 1 1/4" wheels by the looks of it. Nowt special but a nice chrome frame and quite handsome. Will be a LOT of work, but a very satisfying result awaits your friend when you've finished it :D Most of the regulars on here have restored much worse in terms of condition.

If you're new to restoring bikes, then check that the frame is straight then 'take lots of reference pics as you strip it down' would be my first tips! Keep it as original as possible (consumable parts notwithstanding unless they are fit for service), take your time and beware of costly purchases (ie shop around for bits).

Search this site (try keyword 'Worksop') for some inspiration ;)

* frame has provision for 10 speed set-up

What a fantastic gift!!! I'd love to have the opportunity to do something like that for someone....

As far as the resto goes it doesn't look too far gone at all and should come up looking absolutely spiffing and shiny.

There are some lovely parts on there i.e the brakes, saddle and stem. Would love to see a few more pics especially of the drive side.

As DR said take plenty of pics which personally I'd print off and put into an album to accompany the bike to form part of the gift. As well as some sun glasses to protect his eyes from the sparkle that is soon to be revealed.

Great stuff :)

Tel":3r0gti1a said:
As DR said take plenty of pics which personally I'd print off and put into an album to accompany the bike to form part of the gift.

Very good idea indeed. It seems to be complete and just a bit tired so look forward to see it being reborn.

Saddle should come back to life... after you've dusted it down, slather it in Brooks Proofide and leave to dry, then re-apply the Proofide. Careful tightening the nose nut on a Brooks until its softened.

A very worthwhile project and should come up well with some work.

Ill look forward to seeing how this one comes along.

I don't believe this is a mid 70s machine, Id put this one back in the 60s for sure. The Courier 66 brakes are one give away, assuming they are original to the machine. Those lugs don't say 70s to me either.

Hi guys - thanks for the posts and advice, its really motivating...

As far as im aware the bikes completely as it was bought, the soon to be 60 owner bought it new im told used it for a few years, and gave it to his brother and forgot about it. In his leaky garage it stood until it found its way into my garage, awaiting some TLC.

Great idea about an album to go with it - will do that.

Ive restored/built all my bikes except the new Madone, so have a fairly good knowledge of retro bikes, but due to my age (30's) something like this poses as more of a challenge than a 1990's Kona or late 80's GT!

That said - im really looking forward to it and given the weather at present - I know what i will be doing today!

Thanks again, and I welcome any further advice anyone wishes to offer.

In answer to the request by 'Tel' ive taken some more pictures - focusing on the drive side.

Just a few questions also while im writing:

Bar tape? Seems very thin, would you replace as is or put something else in place. If so, where can i get similar to whats on there please?

Obviously the bikes running friction 5 speed. Can i fit an indexed block and chain, and will it work with the friction shifter ok?

Chainset has chrome flaking quite badly - What would you guru's do, have it re-chromed or source one in better nic - which maybe difficult (i dont know) any idea on costings etc and what is it likely to be on there so i know what i need to sourse potentially!

Thanks again - Pics below:

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0563.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0525.jpg