Possible Reynolds 753 Bike ? *Updated* Pic of Silver solder

Silver Fox Baz

Dirt Disciple
Just got this gem off ebay although would love to know more about it.

Sellers text

1980s road bike. Very light Reynolds 753 frame( 23.5") and forks, pearl white; chromed chainstay and drop-outs; Rare Ernesto Colnago chainset with original stencil cuts ( equivalent to Campagnolo Super Record); Mavic Open 4CD rims on Mavic hubs; Brazed on front changer ( Campag); Mavic rear mech and tri-bars; Campag headset, bottom bracket, and downtube levers (inscribed); Look Carbon pedals; Shimano 105 brakes; Cinelli bars; Iscaselle titanium saddle.
Virtually all components top of range ( except brakes?!) - set up as time trial bike - rear sprockets 13-21, front 53/49, and long pedal cranks ( 172.5 mm

753R.jpg

753R1.jpg

753R2.jpg

knight5-K449.jpg

Frame no is 360551 and has 'Tange' written underneath on Bottom Bracket

I had a look on the Classis Lightweights site and it does have the same brazing like the green frame featured.

Any help greatly appreciated

Damn I really, really wanted that but forgot to bid :( I was out at the time.

And what a bargain too....Double damn :cry:

Very, very, very nice pantographed Chainset! :)

It seems a bit odd to have 'Tange' on the frame. Tange is the Japanese tubing and frame manufacturer. Can you upload a pic?

Very nice looking frame, I do like the fastback design of seat stays :D

More pics would help :D

Shaun

I take it that you are referring to the cutout on the seat lug when you say it is the same as the Knight. This is a standard Prugnat or similar lug set used by most builders around that time and doesn't indicate the builder, sorry. It is a nice looking frame but there isn't anything specific that, to me, points to a definite builder. I'm also not sure whether Knight ever built in 753 - but perhaps they did.

Some interesting components on it especially that chainset. Give it a good clean and polish and get riding!

Call me Job's comforter but I'm a little cynical about this frame.

Why? 753 + chrome...to my knowledge a decent builder would not chrome 753, for example it was a no-no in the SBDU.

Agree with Ned though, ride it.

Roadking.

roadking":1ay6m3np said:
Why? 753 + chrome...to my knowledge a decent builder would not chrome 753, for example it was a no-no in the SBDU.

My old Brian Rourke 753 was chromed (r/h chainstay only as an anti-scratch measure, mind) and never gave any bother, but generally agree with the above - Reynolds themselves advise against it and if I'd been going for a new frame to my spec rather than buying 2nd-hand at that time I wouldn't have bothered with chrome.

David

Thanks for the comments.

I think like myself potential buyers were wary that it had no builders name on the bike so bid accordingly. Lucky for me the guy was only down the road from me in Norwich.

Also if it is a top end bike why would you fit Simano 105 brakes ??

The guy selling it has had the bike for 15 years and bought it in the Birmingham area back in 1989 (Bike was 4 years old) for the sum of £450.

The seller mentioned about 'Knight' before he had the frame enamled.

Will certainly get some better pics sorted over the weekend.

Is that right to tell if it is a true 753 frame, you squeeze the top tube and it should flex ?

Will certainly be getting some mileage in doing the Norwich 100 & London to Brighton, although has 2 other bikes to compete with (Tasty Raleigh Banana & a Reynolds 531 Ellis Briggs sharing the same space in the house)

I wouldn't squeeze anything LOL

753 had a different ring to it when tapped with a fingernail compared to 531.....not sure if there is any other way apart from measuring / weighing it ?

Shaun

Back