Kona Explosif 1997 - "look, a golden bike!"

A bit of both, it's the camera but I have a feeling the Rock Shox decals were removed quite a while ago and with it being yellow, it's faded ever so slightly. They are in really good condition though so no point chucking. That said there is a pair going on ebay.de at the moment which I put a couple of bids on but it went past £50 so I backed out.

Oh and I love your 96 by the way; stunning super build.

unkleGsif - sounds good, let's hook up when you're back.

If anyone else could help out I'd appreciate it! Consisder this project on-hold until we get that decal sorted.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
al-onestare":j4yorrj9 said:
Don't be sorry! It's been eating away at me ever siince I applied it earlier this week. Do I really want to have something 2nd rate on my unicorn bike? So, is there anyone out there that can help re-create the decal i'm after? I have enought shots and dimensions...

Give max a pm he is chief drawer for decals

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/profil ... ile&u=8778

rojo":6a4drlif said:
al-onestare":6a4drlif said:
Don't be sorry! It's been eating away at me ever siince I applied it earlier this week. Do I really want to have something 2nd rate on my unicorn bike? So, is there anyone out there that can help re-create the decal i'm after? I have enought shots and dimensions...

Give max a pm he is chief drawer for decals

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/profil ... ile&u=8778

Cheers rojo!

No worries.

Looks great bike but like you say the decal being wrong needs sorting.

I'm really glad I started this thread now and not after I'd built it up fully! Nothing like some re-assuring nods and pokes to confirm my concerns. Cheers all!

Oooh I like that - the colour looks fantastic :cool: . I think the Indys would look good with some repro decals though.

Damn, now I have Explosif envy again :LOL:

:cool: The colour is really good. The pic's don't do it justice. Now it's no Klein gator fade but it does have a dual edge to it. In direct sun or spot light it's gold, but then as you change angle it's more orange and in the right light you get the dual colour fade.

The factory colour name was Mustard gold :? I disagree :!:

The OP said (...check out the one that sold last week on ebay for over £400)

So I thought it only fair to share pictures of that very bike. Yes, it was over £400 but the condition is fantastic. Despite being 15 years old it still has all original components with wear left on the tyres and even the brake blocks! The chain has no measurable wear at all (measure pin edge to pin edge with a 12" steel rule).

A few very minor marks on the frame but it looks like it's been hardly used and very well looked after - even cosseted.

Oh dear, I'm in love with a 15 year old :oops:

Attachments

• IMG_0719sm.JPG
    IMG_0719sm.JPG
    230.3 KB · Views: 2,198
  • IMG_0721sm.JPG
    IMG_0721sm.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 2,198
  • IMG_0722sm.jpg
    IMG_0722sm.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2,198
I wonder if that's ever seen dirt! I don't think you'll find a better "straight out of the catalogue" example, that's absolutely mint and deserves it's on thread ;)

Meanwhile measurements of the downtube decal taken (from my next project ;) ) let hope our man can work some magic!

Back