Bontrager Wheels

andrew thomas

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
Hi all,
I recently bought a new project ('99 Gary Fisher X Cal) and got 2 pairs of wheels with it. One are a WTB Speed disk on formula but the other are the originals, Bontrager Race disk on Bontrager Valiant Hubs. I need to sell one pair to raise some funds for the rest of the build.

main.php

The big question is which to sell?
From what i rekon the Bontys will sell for more, but are better wheels so if i sell them i will end up with worse bits on the bike untill i finally upgrade them (would ultimatley need to upgrade wither set). I guess what i need to know is will the Bontys free up enough money to outrun a temporary loss of spec? Brand new they seem to go for mega bucks, was thinking at least £100 second hand? Trouble is i dont really have anything to go on for second hand prices.
Thoughts guys??

Appreciate any advice

andrew thomas":2er03q78 said:
Hi all,
I recently bought a new project ('99 Gary Fisher X Cal)

was that the medium frame one off ebay?

keep them yellow bontys.

yeah ebay tastic!
ended up doing a deal for cash outside of the evil-bay tho.
i had been watching it on its first listing (have a thing for gary fisher frames!) and got chatting to him. He actually had an identical frame only and that was what i went to view, but when i got there the full bike was so minty i couldnt resist and splashed the cash.
Have stripped it down and have begun to rebuild with fresh bits from a couple of previous builds. When it is finished i will post some pics and specs, i have high hopes for it when its all done, trouble is affording it all!

Are Bontrager wheels rated then? I've got a really nice set of rim brakes ones that are really smooth fast wheels and seem to be tough as hell that I will be looking to shift soon.

I was a bit unsure of price as they never seem to come up on here as everyone is Mavic mad.

andrew thomas":351im4iu said:
yeah ebay tastic!
ended up doing a deal for cash outside of the evil-bay tho.
i had been watching it on its first listing (have a thing for gary fisher frames!) and got chatting to him.

IIRC, that had disc brakes - look after the Hayes rear calliper - they are quite rare and not many modern callipers will fit in the gap between chain and seat stays.

I got same frame, bought from US that was reduce due to disc brakes being taken off .... and I was happy for many years until I saw the light and had to convert all my bikes to disc - a front Magura calliper will fit in that gap using an adapter, should you ever need to do that, check out my post on this conversion.

BTW they are top frames, the design at rear is suppose to have some shock absrobing.

Back