The useful things thread

Thought this was the most suitable place for this.
Just had a steel frame (Bonty Privateer FWIW) powdercoated by K&N in Portchester. £50 inc. bead blast, masking and coating. Dropped it off yesterday at 2pm and got a call at 10am today to collect it! Great smooth finish and the masking had been done excellently; no powder or blasting medium in any threads/headstube etc...

I had some work done at Ele-Flex in Chichester. I have to say that IMHO they were perhaps a little bit industrial, if you are looking for some finesse or delicacy I would think about going elsewhere. Or maybe I just caught them on a bad day?

I've had 3 bike frames and a tag along done there, I supplied my own paint for 2 of the frames and they supplied the paint for the tag along and other frame. The tag along was powder coated and I agree with the industrial look, but the frames came out better than expected.

I suppose it comes down to expectation. I have had work done at JR Finishright as well and was perfectly happy with it. I didn't use them this time because Chichester was on my work route at the time. I'm not saying avoid, just maybe be a little wary if you have something delicate or treasured.

Popped out for a spin on the road bike today and got a puncture in Petts Wood. Of course, this is the time I don't take a spare tube with me ...

I walked into Queensway Autos hoping to buy a tube and borrow some levers and a pump. Very welcoming staff, let me use the workshop stand and and made admiring noises about the bike, which was not the response I'd have expected from a lot of high street bike shops on a Saturday afternoon!

Johnboy":29pv1j0p said:
I had some work done at Ele-Flex in Chichester. I have to say that IMHO they were perhaps a little bit industrial, if you are looking for some finesse or delicacy I would think about going elsewhere. Or maybe I just caught them on a bad day?

Well I've just had some work done at another company that I really would recommend highly. I was put onto them by Woodsman.

I had a frame and forks blasted with fine garnet media and a zinc phosphate anti-corrosion treatment applied for £24. Good value I reckon!

Cleaning Consultants (Contractors) Ltd.
Little Springfield Farm,
Plaistow Road,
Loxwood,
RH14 0TS

Tel. 01403 752347

Re:

Treston Finishers in Hazel Road, Southampton have produced some fine spray work. They are primarily industrial finishers and their work can be a bit thick but they do spray enamel and can do a thinner coating to suit lugged frames.

ADMIN...please remove the Mikes Bikes mention. The shop has closed, but been replaced with a guy selling cheap reconed bikes, calling himself Mikes Bikes but in a shop two doors down.....

Dave

Back