Raleigh Wisp 1984 Mixte

Thanks tiermat I'll bear that in mind if the silicone doesn't work

DR, thanks, the cable colour was the idea of the lbs guy, I was about to get blue or something and he suggested the white and I think it works quite well.

yes the chainset is definitely only temporary, i've been searching for a suitable one for a while but nothing cheap has come up. For the prices some stuff is going for on ebay I may as well get the stronglight triple off Spa and have a new one.
Still waiting for the grips, took advantage of the 40% discount on brooks web site but they are not the quickest to deliver, would have been quicker to go and fetch it :)
I cant remember what size the post was off hand, I changed it when I first had the bike as the original was old style clamp, the lbs measured it to match but I think it must have had the wrong one in already, I'll measure it again.

Very pleasing to look at and breaks the mould for me, i would suggest cutting down the front mech' cable! It will eventually scratch your frame like that.

30886b9f.jpg

Thanks Ian, wasn't it yourself who did a similar project recently? It looked cracking. I think these style frames look much better with flat bars rather than the original drops.

The colour was sort of inspired (if thats the right word) by the Rivendell bikes, they tend be a similar shade and always look nice. A bit of a gamble I took was to put modern fenders and brakes on, I wasn't happy with the weinmann brakes really and whilst the original fenders were chrome the stays weren't polishing up too well and would have spoilt it a bit, so I put these on that were supposed to go an another bike but looked wrong so were going spare, I had to use some extender plates on the back as the stays were too short but I think it suits the bike quite well.

You spotted the cable then lol, I normally leave cable uncut till I'm happy with the setup, in this case I originally put the cheap matching front mech for the shifters, ts30 or something, and it was awfull, no matter what I did I couldnt get it to shift all gears right. I found that Exage as NOS and it setup within minutes although probably needs some fine tuning still.

I've found a second hand sugino crankset, 165mm cranks.

Looks much better but I do have a problem

I've fitted a 127.5mm un55 bb, but even with this the chainring bolts are just scraping the paint off the chain stay as they rotate, I've loosed of the crank bolt and refitted, just tightening up enough for the bolts not to touch the stay, it's fairly tight but could be tightened some more.

I'm guessing this might be to do with the fact I've spread the rear forks to take a 130mm hub, but only from 126mm.

Guess it needs a spacer of some kind, or a longer bb, are there any longer than 127.5??
658b7135.jpg

Its a b*gger when this happens, not sure where a space would go, is it possible to get a bb spindle of 130mm to give you that extra width and hence clearance?

Yeah I think the longer bb is the only option, can't think where a spacer would go really that would work. Looks like some spindles are available but not found any sealed units yet, will keep looking.

I'm planning a very similar conversion of my wifes Carlton Courette Mixte. Can I ask what gear shifters you used? I also have a spare Deore DX mech and if I could use that it would be ideal.

re: the chainset problem, maybe a triple just won't fit? The Wisp was only built as a 10 speed so might not have the clearance for a triple. Also, I wonder if maybe newer triples have closer spacing of the chainrings to allow three rings to fit into the space of a double? (Rear blocks work that way I think, 9 speed fits into the same space as an old 5 speed?) Or could it be that your triple is a converted double? It looks like a copy of a Stronglight 99 or TA crank to me so might be worth looking for a TA or Stronglight axle? (I think the Stronglight 99 was actually a copy of the TA).
Could another option be to get an even smaller inner ring which doesn't catch the frame? You don't say what sizes the chainrings are but they look like they might be 32/42/52 ? A modern triple (for a mountain bike at any rate, not sure about tourers) is likely to be 22/32/42. The 10 less teeth on the inner ring would probably clear the frame.

Ian.

Hi Ian

Here's the link for the shifters: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-tour ... prod26057/

to be honest they're not great but do the job. I bought them before i decided to replace the wheels with 130mm oln, which meant i could have gone 7 speed which would have given a wider choice of shifters.

It's not the rings rubbing, it's the actual back of the bolts that hold the rings on, they protrude a bit too far and catch the paint work, so even smaller rings would make no difference unfortunately. i did have a triple on before that, an mtb deore set and they worked fine, just looked a bit wrong on the bike. I think the only real answer is to try and find a 130mm bottom bracket to replace the current 127.5mm to give a little clearance.

If you look at the picture of the sugino, those bolts visible hold all rings, wheras the bolts on the deore were much further in.

retro-rich":2x9ucj28 said:
It's not the rings rubbing, it's the actual back of the bolts that hold the rings on, they protrude a bit too far and catch the paint work
Aah, right. I see that now, I read it wrong. That could be difficult to fix. I think I would be looking for (yet) another chainset if it were me.
Are they the correct bolts? Would the bolts from the Deore fit?
Can you post a pic of the bolts? Might give us more to think about.

Thanks for the link. I'll look into that.

Ian.

Back