Retrobike National Series Rd 4: Yorkshire Dales ~ 07/07/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone can send me a map of the route that I can see in Microsoft office to rcatkin@gmail.com then I will check it against our data systems and see where the problems spots might be on the route or on link roads to and from the start point.

kaya":3882h7qe said:
As for the Environment Agency and flood warnings they mostly like to justify there existence, stop worrying and come and ride you mountain bike.

Please don't beleive that lie - there are several hundred people out there from the EA in the NE area constantly checking flood defences, bridges, culverts and river levels and clearing debris, trees and other blockages in dire weather to ensure people's home's, businesses and lives are not in danger. They've been at it 24hrs a day for the last 2 weeks in pretty nasty conditions while we all sit cosy at home.

I have personally helped out last week by accompanying a river surveyor checking a few miles of river in West Yorkshire ensuring the previous high flood waters haven't undermined any banks or bridges or walls or houses so that people are safe. All the catchments had to be checked quickly as we knew a flood event might occur again soon so we had to do all we could to repair any damage. We have been asked to volunteer to work over this weekend if needed if a big event does occur and the flood people need assistance.

They are not issued lightly, but on data from hundreds of thousands of river level readings, historical data, channel modelling and so much more.

The flood warnings are out there to save lives.

Rob Atkin":bkge5v3y said:
kaya":bkge5v3y said:
As for the Environment Agency and flood warnings they mostly like to justify there existence, stop worrying and come and ride you mountain bike.

Please don't beleive that lie - there are several hundred people out there from the EA in the NE area constantly checking flood defences, bridges, culverts and river levels and clearing debris, trees and other blockages in dire weather to ensure people's home's, businesses and lives are not in danger. They've been at it 24hrs a day for the last 2 weeks in pretty nasty conditions while we all sit cosy at home.

I have personally helped out last week by accompanying a river surveyor checking a few miles of river in West Yorkshire ensuring the previous high flood waters haven't undermined any banks or bridges or walls or houses so that people are safe. All the catchments had to be checked quickly as we knew a flood event might occur again soon so we had to do all we could to repair any damage. We have been asked to volunteer to work over this weekend if needed if a big event does occur and the flood people need assistance.

They are not issued lightly, but on data from hundreds of thousands of river level readings, historical data, channel modelling and so much more.

The flood warnings are out there to save lives.

Yeh rob pipe down, i'm not going so i'm alright. LOL

Don't want to get into an argument but......

Rob there NOT lies I live at sea level 200m away form the sea , in the bottom of a valley with a river in front of my house.

Ive also been a surfer for more years than I care to remember so have a VERY good understanding of weather and how weather systems work.

We know there maybe some rain and will keep an eye on it so don't worrie unless you don't want to get your hair wet :LOL:

I am just trying to help, there is little point in having a disaster of a ride just because no-one bothered to check.

As I said before, I can check over the route and the roads to it if someone sends me a route map. I'll check it against the flood risk mapping we have on our internal systems to provide the information for everyone to see.

I'm not bothered about riding in the wet, it's being swept away in a raging torrent in my car or on a bike or left stranded somewhere and not being able to get back to the car or home I'm worried about.

I know where the ride starts so I'll check the routes leading to that for a start.

Rob Atkin":2uldl9od said:
I am just trying to help, there is little point in having a disaster of a ride just because no-one bothered to check.

As I said before, I can check over the route and the roads to it if someone sends me a route map. I'll check it against the flood risk mapping we have on our internal systems to provide the information for everyone to see.

I'm not bothered about riding in the wet, it's being swept away in a raging torrent in my car or on a bike or left stranded somewhere and not being able to get back to the car or home I'm worried about.

I know where the ride starts so I'll check the routes leading to that for a start.

Do you honestly think that we've not been watching the weather for the past week and keeping in touch with people that live in the area ?

If conditions look like they maybe unsuitable then we'll make an informed decision on Friday evning ....

kaya":34uhd5qf said:
Rob Atkin":34uhd5qf said:

Do you honestly think that we've not been watching the weather for the past week and keeping in touch with people that live in the area ?

If conditions look like they maybe unsuitable then we'll make an informed decision on Friday evning ....

I will leave it up to you then if you want me to check our mapping systems here. Contact me via PM or email if you want to.

Just trying to help.

Anybody staying up on the Friday. Trying to decide if to drive up the night before.

Reckon your iphone weather app must be playing up. Looking like great weather for the weekend on my phone...

Attachments

• 2012-07-05 15.25.32.png
    2012-07-05 15.25.32.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 676
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back