Retrobike National Series Rd 4: Yorkshire Dales ~ 07/07/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping to be there in time for a cuppa and maybe a butty before the ride Rich, be good to see you mate ;)

I don't want to be the bringer of bad news, but the rain issue could turn out to be a huge problem.

I work for Environment Agency and I don't work in the Flood Risk side but have been asked if I could provide cover for the Flood Risk people. They have been working 24/7 for the last 2 weeks in the incident rooms as this wet weather has continued and are stretched quite a bit.

There is forecast the potential for a huge flood event starting on Friday in the NE and contingency plans are in place for the whole weekend.

The risks are surface water and river flooding in NE England that may damage property and cause traffic disruption.

We are hoping that it doesn't come to this - there is never better time to be wrong than when flooding doesn't happen - but it is a very serious situation that is being prepared for.

Latest flood forecast is here - http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ho ... 25305.aspx

The last thing I would want to hear is that someone's day was ruined by flooding, or possibly worse. No ride is more important to me than being safe and well.

I don't mean this as a call to cancel the ride, I just want to share the info we have been given as to what may lie ahead so no-one is surprised.

Well the floods I went through last week were the worst I have ever seen, couldn't drive in it let alone ride a bike in a remote area.

Let's have regular updates, and decide on Friday night, Saturday morning?

I am in work today and tomorrow so will keep this thread updated as much as I can. I will have a chat with the FCRM guys and gals to see if I can get any insider info - but to be honest what we put out in the press is as fast as we get it pretty much.

I must admit that by july i expected things to hot-up with the odd showery day making for no concern at all, weather wise.

the better outlook for this ride is that we climb(quickly) above the basin to well-drained trails and disused mine areas. the drop down to the village for lunch may be worth a look at as, this is river level(although set-back from river 100yrds) in case flood affects the village. then bridal paths back to start point, flat but puddley*

*puddle like to terrain, in certain areas ;)

This area is quite dramatic and has well established natural drains to take the stick for us. after lunch there is an easy road back to the start point if some parts of the return leg are looking dodgy.

got my front yellow crud installed :cool: i suppose we need to keep an eye on the road network in and out of that area.

Just for you Rob Swaledale DIDN'T Get the rain Newcastle did, they only had 20 minutes of rain!!

The route we're taking is high and dry but if the lower sections back are wet we have an alternative route.

As for the Environment Agency and flood warnings they mostly like to justify there existence, stop worrying and come and ride you mountain bike .

There made for riding in all conditions NOT just on the road in the dry!!!

Happy trails kaya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back