1990-ish Cannondale M400 (I think)

Nellyeff

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
"Its a Cannondale" was the answer to my "what is it then?" when my mate gave me this for nowt. He was going to restore it, but he just doesn't have the knowledge or time to do so..... my gain! :LOL:
He did have the time in the past to raw the frame and paint the Tange fork though.
I'm going to try and finish this on a very thin shoestring budget, perhaps £50 or so, using parts I have, and second hand/budget stuff. Its got a pretty harsh "suspension" stem on it, which I'm not sure is original or not. Might go single front chainring and 7 cassette out back, or even singlespeed.
So, is this as nice as I think it is? :LOL:

Cannondale2.jpg

Cannondale13.jpg

Free bikes don't get much nicer than that :)

A normal stem and straight bars would shave a load of weight. Looks pretty fast as it is, even with the clunky old Suntour bits.

could you show us the serial number ? (written under the stay…)
We could say to you the year it was welded ;)

In my opinion : after 91 (the ovoid "mudcutter" stays section ;) )

Serial number is 52008913686
I'm compiling a wee list of bits I need, biggest need is a BB I think, it seems to me, looking at the chainline, the axle is too long. I'm also going to fit a set of cantilever brakes, as it had originally. That should easily take care of a large chunk of my pretend budget! :LOL: ;)

Ok, just found the vintage Cannondale site.
Seems it a 20" frame built in 08/91? :D
Nice one, so much info with just the serial number! :cool:

yes, you are right !
It's a 1992 catalog bike.
So, with it's 1" headtube, M400 or M500 ;)

Budgets doing well, £43 so far on some Canti brakes, a Deore crank and a 7 speed Shimano shifter and integrated brake lever. Oh, and a set of white decals..... :LOL:
I feel I might want some pedals to fit the retro theme, and errr..... some more budget! :D

Fitted the brake/shifter combo and rear caliper last night, looks and feels good.
I had a quick try at polishing the frame using a scotchbrite pad and then some Meguiars metal polish and it came up absolutely stunning! I'd like to try and retain this finsh with minimum effort without using laquer or any other painty type product. What would be the best protective polish/wax, should I just use carwax for bare alloy? :D

Back