Idiotic questions

Tazio

MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
As my move to the scary world of disc brakes picks up speed the more I realise how little I know about them. Specifically the difference between mounts. People keep using terms like IS and post.

What does it all mean? I see the mount on the rear triangle of frames and the mounts on forks and they all look the same to me. What am i not getting?

Forgive me, I'm old :LOL:

TECH_Disk_tab_type.jpg

You can have either mount on the fork or the frame

You can get adaptors for most mount combo's, but some may require a larger than 160mm rotor IIRC

Riiiiggght!

So it appears that IS is indeed more standard as I've never knowingly spotted post mount.

This could be a confusing few weeks :D

Tazio":9b2saizh said:
Riiiiggght!

So it appears that IS is indeed more standard as I've never knowingly spotted post mount.

This could be a confusing few weeks :D
Post mount (PM) is popular again, mostly found on forks, but now on frames too.

But it has the issue of being able to strip the threads in the frame or fork, meaning helicoil time!

IS doesn't suffer with this issue, but caliper alignment can be a little trickier than PM

Andy B":anev11e3 said:
IS doesn't suffer with this issue, but caliper alignment can be a little trickier than PM

Excellent, more stuff for me to make an arse of :D

I'm quite looking forward to it now, no more wincing at the sound of rims being eaten on nasty days.

Tazio":gwd12gvw said:
Andy B":gwd12gvw said:

Excellent, more stuff for me to make an arse of :D

I'm quite looking forward to it now, no more wincing at the sound of rims being eaten on nasty days.
Yup, no more rims being eaten

just brake pads instead ;)

Oh have a look at http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help for tips

Does anyone know where I can find standard dimensions etc for post mount?

IS standards I can find, but PM seems elusive.

All the best,

51mm?

Otherwise it will vary (as to what size rotor) by manufacturer if thats what you mean.
Its essentially what size 'stub'there is.

Thanks Cyfa.

I've got a project that needs a disc mount, so I've got an Anvil FengShui to fit IS:
Screenshot2012-07-05at094736.png

but I was fancying a neater postmount like this:

1229430557449-12p6rgej0ge6f-798-75.jpg

Looks like there's no Standard :cry:

All the best,

Back