Compact square taper chainset/cranks

Might have Campag Mirage 48/34 setup in black if of any interest. Bought by me new and fitted for maybe 100 miles tops..........

I've got a lovely condition Sakae (SR) SA 50/36 rings with very little wear, comes with matching cup & cone BB which is nice and smooth & cosmetically excellent
£38 posted
PM for photos if interested

I have an old set of 105 from 1988, had light use from then until about 1 year ago. Rings therefore moderately worn, ?little worth 42/52 Cranks lots of v v superficial scuffing ie "Shimano 105" well and truly worn off, but no actual damage 172.5

Ed, why not just use an MTB chainset (I'm sure you'll have some) and not fit the granny ring? Use a shorter axle BB than used on a triple set-up and you're away. I did this years ago before 'compacts' became all the rage.

Trendsetter I am!

Thanks for all the replies, will have a think but just to confirm that I'm after a compact chainset rather than one with a 39t or 42t smallest ring.

Old Ned":21eeh8yd said:
Ed, why not just use an MTB chainset (I'm sure you'll have some) and not fit the granny ring? Use a shorter axle BB than used on a triple set-up and you're away. I did this years ago before 'compacts' became all the rage.

Trendsetter I am!

I adopted this approach in 2005 when I rode the Gran Fondo Campagnolo on a too small EM Corsa Extra (now with The Guvnor) with a WI MTB chainset - worked well but looked a little clunky (I accept that this is very vain).

I've got a nice set of Suntour ones in 175mm flavour

Let me know if any good and I'll post pics/prices

Latest posts

Back